SDF Fails to Download, MakeMKV fatal error opening UHDs

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
juststeve

SDF Fails to Download, MakeMKV fatal error opening UHDs

Post by juststeve »

For the last week or two, every time I launch MakeMKV or insert a new BD disc, it hangs on downloading "latest SDF," and then says "automatic SDF downloading is disabled or failed." From there however, it would read and decrepit ordinary BD discs just fine.

I've just purchased a modified UHD drive from one of our fellow board members (highly recommended!) and when I try to decrypt a UHD disc, SDF and HK downloading fails, MakeMKV suffers a fatal error and crashes. It still works just fine (other than the download failure) on BD discs.

I've looked at MakeMKV's settings, and "allow contacting web server for updates" is checked. MakeMKV.com is whitelisted in Pi-Hole, and the app has permission to accept connections in macOS's built-in firewall.

What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 5.50.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 5.50.11 PM.png (153.11 KiB) Viewed 20363 times
juststeve

Re: SDF Fails to Download, MakeMKV fatal error opening UHDs

Post by juststeve »

Never mind -- problem solved!

I poked into my network, and discovered I'd added a few dodgy-looking countries to UniFi's GeoIP blocking feature. Apparently, MakeMKV is hosted in one of those dodgy-looking countries.

If you're having a similar issue and you use UniFi networking gear, try turning off the GeoIP filter.
leem321

Post by leem321 »

Hey, I appear to have the exact same issue, but I'm not knowingly running any kind of IP filtering or Geo IP blocking software. I'm just running the bog-standard OS X - Mojave with no firewall enabled. My router is an AmpliFi HD model.

That's really it unless maybe do I need to allow some port forwarding to occur? Could it possibly be my ISP blocking the connection (Virgin Media)?

Many thanks
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

No, the problem is on the MakeMKV server end - the domain that was being used has (probably) expired, so you cannot reach it anymore. Only Mike can fix that.

In the mean time, the manual download is the only working method (link earlier in the topic).
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Phrehdd

Post by Phrehdd »

If a manual download is for now the work around, could someone provide the location and file name to download and then what to do with it please or if clear instructions exist, where may we find them?

Though I get the SDF fails situations, I have been able to generate MKV files from UHDs except for one - Watchmen (Ultimate cut) which just plain fails. Star Trek 2009 required a direct copy of the disc to drive then use MakeMKV but I believe that was the an inherent problem in the disc.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Phrehdd wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:35 pm
If a manual download is for now the work around, could someone provide the location and file name to download and then what to do with it please or if clear instructions exist, where may we find them?

Though I get the SDF fails situations, I have been able to generate MKV files from UHDs except for one - Watchmen (Ultimate cut) which just plain fails. Star Trek 2009 required a direct copy of the disc to drive then use MakeMKV but I believe that was the an inherent problem in the disc.
This is the post where this is has been discussed in detail:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17848

it's a Sticky post in the General forum.
Phrehdd

Post by Phrehdd »

Thank you for the response. I was hoping to just get a listed of steps to take to download and how to do this within MacOS. I gather these are .files or .directories and as such hidden. The particular thread doesn't quite cover a simple set of instructions.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

For all the operating systems that MakeMKV runs on, the hosts file vary slightly.

Linux uses "/etc/hosts", and the file will probably be owned by root.

Windows puts it in "%WINDIR%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts", but you might have a problem getting notepad to see it or open it because there is no file extension.

MacOS uses different paths, depending on if you're in Finder or a terminal window. In a terminal window, you can enter "sudo nano /etc/hosts" to edit it. In Finder, the path is "/private/etc/hosts".
LSUTigersFan

Post by LSUTigersFan »

Phrehdd wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:27 pm
Thank you for the response. I was hoping to just get a listed of steps to take to download and how to do this within MacOS. I gather these are .files or .directories and as such hidden. The particular thread doesn't quite cover a simple set of instructions.
I am pleading for someone to respond to this thread. And, at least for me, I need an explanation that a 5th grader would easily grasp. Please help a brother out!! The other responses presupposed a certain amount of knowledge which I clearly do not possess, and it therefore makes it impossible for me to gather all the disparate threads/answers in to something I can understand.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It is hard to say "do this, then this" without knowing which operating system you are using, whether or not you have adminstrator/root privileges on the computer, or if you have access to and know how to use a TEXT editor (not a word processor).

Pick your favorite search engine, and enter the search "change dns server" plus your operating system (macos, windows, or linux). You will find dozens of pages for each operating system. Unless you have some reason NOT to, using Google's DNS servers 8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8 would be a good choice.

If you want to use the host file method, my reply above your question lists the locations of the hosts file on different operating systems. It should contain examples of how to format an entry for the current MakeMKV hash key host name. This is less desirable than fixing the DNS, because the host name CAN change.
Phrehdd

Post by Phrehdd »

To change DNS for MAC OS follow the instructions on this link -

https://www.techbout.com/change-dns-ser ... mac-22663/