REALLY expired, this time?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
PlaidRadish

REALLY expired, this time?

Post by PlaidRadish »

So, I've been hearing MakeMKV would expire, but the date on the beta key page says "September 30, 2019" and there is no new code posted. I can't get the beta version to work anymore.

Anyone know if the developers will post a new key today?

-Plaid
d00zah

Re: REALLY expired, this time?

Post by d00zah »

Search is your friend...

search.php?keywords=expired%2Bkey
PlaidRadish

Post by PlaidRadish »

Sorry, but that search does not answer my original question.
It does pose potential future solutions, pending the answer to my question, though, so I may come back to it.

Anyone else?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

There are ~10 years/50+ pages of results & your question certainly is covered... ad nauseam.

Simply put:

- The beta keys are good for ~2 mos. Published key comes with a note that "... key is valid until end of xxx".

- This has never been a precise date. You assumed. "Sometime around the end of xxx" might be more precise... in a vague sort of way.

- Mike updates the key when he chooses... usually within a week, if history is any judge.

- The best way to avoid this periodic, temporary inconvenience is to purchase a key.

- In the event you are unable to start MakeMKV to apply a new key, temporarily set the OS date to something prior to the expiration date of the old key.

- Patience.
evilpants

Post by evilpants »

d00zah wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:06 pm
Search is your friend...

search.php?keywords=expired%2Bkey
I registered just to say, this kind of response ends up being pretty hostile, even though you meant well.

Firstly, the word "key" is ignored when doing searches - so you are telling people to do a search that does not even return the results you're talking about.

Secondly, when you do a search for "expired", a massive number of results come back with the same sort of hostile "do a search", "everyone has asked this before" etc. response that you gave.

I know you mean well, but ultimately the "let me google that for you"-type response is sarcastic and judgemental, and doesn't take into account the fact that people have vastly different abilities and experience. A lot of people really don't know how to find the information they need, a lot of people don't know how to use the information they get.

When someone says "you should've searched", they're actually saying "why aren't you clever enough to do what I easily do?"

Well, I'm clever, and I cannot find a way to get my beta working. After wading through a lot of "do a search!" repies, all I can find is an expired beta key. I can find no way, apart from buying it (which I can't afford to do at this point, but will be happy to do at some point), to do what people are saying "do a search!" to do.

It would be so much easier to provide a link - or, in your case, to simply say "hi - I've got a link to the latest key in my sig; if it's not updated, you might need to wait a few days". Your second reply was incredibly helpful and really cleared things up for me - if you're fed up with people asking the same question, maybe the way to look at it is "there's something systemic that stops people being able to easily find this information - I will help them find it".

Sorry for the long post; I just hate seeing people who have an instinct to help but who choose instead to say "I won't help you, go and do it yourself".
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The hostility you perceive is probably because this discussion comes up in 5 to 20 separate topics every 60 days. There are currently 4 this week, in different sections of the forum.

There is also a hostility towards people who then post in those threads how it is THEIR RIGHT to not pay for the software, because it is "too expensive", "I don't have a job that pays enough to buy the software that rips the disks I buy/rent", or "it's too inconvenient!"
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

I had since softened the tone.

2 notes:

- The recommended search was intended as a starting point. You DO understand that you are able to supply additional keywords to further refine the search? The response seemed a tad inconvenienced @ having to read/refine the search. People really should work on their search 'chops', particularly since this particular subject is exceedingly 'low-hanging fruit'.

- Woodstock's explanation pretty much sums it up. Thank you.
zitibooth

Post by zitibooth »

Personally, I think the creator/admin in a genius. I'm sure that far more people use the beta key than pay for this amazing bit of software BUT when that key is expired boy do sales spike. Show us that graph of sales vs expired beta key. :lol:

Keep up the good work Mike.