Catalina and Makemkv

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Low Winter Sun

Catalina and Makemkv

Post by Low Winter Sun »

So, I'd really like to upgrade to OSX Catalina, but would rather not lose the ability to backup my UHD/Bluray media.

Can anyone confirm that Makemkv can rip UHD/Bluray disks running under Catalina?
bl00dshed

Re: Catalina and Makemkv

Post by bl00dshed »

I'm not sure about the application itself, but the package "daspi_1.5" is incompatible when I try to install it from a clean macOS Catalina.
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

OSX says it's a 64 bit kernel extension, but unsigned. wonder what's different about Catalina that would interfere? Kernel extensions have been depreciated, but they should still work...
https://www.sentinelone.com/blog/7-big- ... -catalina/
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Mike has said that you should not install dsapi unless MakeMKV says it would help. It should no longer be needed for most people.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

Well, I did a upgraded a spare HD I have as a test. Makemkv was able to decrypt the TOC of a UHD disk and list out all the tracts to extract. so.. it seems to work. I didn't go as far as ripping anything to storage though.
315dude

Post by 315dude »

i've updated to catlina and i've ripped a few blurays since then.

i do have a problem with the automatic sdf updates failing. but i'm not sure its related
jimthedj

Post by jimthedj »

For a new install, if you use the command "sudo spctl --master-disable" in the terminal, I was told this disables not being able to run unsigned applications. I haven't needed to use it yet, because mine was already installed. I would like to know everyone's results.
MaxJones

Post by MaxJones »

It seems you should be able to allow an exception. If you go to the MakeMKV download page, there is a link to Apple's web site regarding Gatekeeper options. Scroll to the bottom of that page and there are instructions on how to add an exception.
stemll

Post by stemll »

If you just double click MakeMKV under Catalina you can't run it, you just get Cancel and Move to Bin (or Trash depending where you are).

Either follow Apple's convoluted instructions linked above or just Option-Click the MakeMKV app in the Applications folder. You will still get the gatekeeper warning but it will now have the option to run it. You only need to do this once (for each version you download, so download a new version after 30 days and you have to do this again).
furiousape

Post by furiousape »

stemll wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:26 pm
If you just double click MakeMKV under Catalina you can't run it, you just get Cancel and Move to Bin (or Trash depending where you are).

Either follow Apple's convoluted instructions linked above or just Option-Click the MakeMKV app in the Applications folder. You will still get the gatekeeper warning but it will now have the option to run it. You only need to do this once (for each version you download, so download a new version after 30 days and you have to do this again).
First of all, it's Ctrl+Click (or right-click) and choose "open" to temporarily bypass the first gatekeeper hindrance.

Not always that simple anymore. macOS first checks the Developer ID signature to verify that the software is from an identified developer.
Catalina also requires software to be notarized, so you can be confident that the software you run on your Mac doesn't contain known malware.
If it isn't notarized macOS Catalina will blindly assume that this software is malicious.

But I believe the xattr trick still works fine:

Code: Select all

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/[name_of_application_bundle_here].app
Razor

Post by Razor »

Just saw this. Does this mean sudo xattr won't work anymore?

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/214092/
Rasseru

Post by Rasseru »

Does anyone know whether Makemkv has applied or, if not, intends to apply to Apple for notarisation of the app?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

There is no need. Catalina still perfectly allows running unsigned applications; and signed/hardened applications can load unsigned plugins (libmmbd) with some reasonable restrictions.