Change User profile on a MAC in Beta

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
laaank

Change User profile on a MAC in Beta

Post by laaank »

Hi,

I am a newbe and want to change my user profile for the output settings (as described in the advanced blog descriptions).

But where do I find the profile file(s) (for the advanced settings to copy and modify) on my mac ? -
Is this not possible in the trial period and restricted ?
I only see some *.dylib files in the program dir and when i open these in text editor the code seem to be encrypted...
pls help...

Thank you laaank
laaank

Re: Change User profile on a MAC in Beta

Post by laaank »

This answered all my questions, I was trying to add a new Profile to the appdata.tar folder , but this was Not recognized , thank you woodstock!!! :
Woodstock wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:23 am
First - have you enabled Expert mode in your Preferences->General window? If not, do so.

In that same window, you will find a box labeled "MakeMKV Data Directory", which should contain a path. If it doesn't, create a directory that is user-accessible, and put its path in that box and click OK.

That will be where you want to store the XML files for your user-created profiles. The original default XML files will be found in appdata.tar in the directory where the PROGRAMS are installed.

The contents of the MakeMKV data directory are not touched during installs and updates, so your edits won't be overwritten or deleted.

As for converting DTS to other formats with MakeMKV, I've not played with that myself... I use handbrake for that, while compressing the video. Others will have to clue you in on that.
Woodstock

Re: Change User profile on a MAC in Beta

Post by Woodstock »

Just remember that Finder (and Windows Explorer) will often show "archive" files, like .tar and .zip, as "folders", but they really aren't. It's one of those "gotcha" things from trying to make everything look like a folder, and ALL the major operating systems have fallen into that trap.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging