UNRECOVERED READ ERROR and SDF ERROR on macOS Catalina

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
sidneyramirez

UNRECOVERED READ ERROR and SDF ERROR on macOS Catalina

Post by sidneyramirez »

Hello,

I am currently running MakeMKV v1.14.5 darwin(x64-release) on my Late 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina. I haven't had any issues with DVD ripping until today. Prior to today, I was able to rip a number of DVDs in my collection, but, today I received a few items in the mail with the intention of ripping them to my PLEX server.

I get about 40% of the way done with the DVD before I get this error:
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR: UNRECOVERED READ ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB' at offset '660236288'
I also get the issue with SDF not downloading, so there's that.

It is able to rip all the featurettes of the DVD except for the film itself.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling MakeMKV, downloading the SDF file and placing in the MKV folder, but nothing works.

Thanks!
harmosciconillator

Re: UNRECOVERED READ ERROR and SDF ERROR on macOS Catalina

Post by harmosciconillator »

My experience has been that "Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR: UNRECOVERED READ ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_etc.VOB' at offset 'number'" most often means the physical disc is dirty or damaged. I see this more with discs I buy used, but can even happen with a brand new "untouched" disc.

Is this a specific DVD that errors at that specific point? Or is it all DVDs now error at that point.

If it's just the one DVD then inspect it closely with a magnifying glass and see if an appropriate cleaning might solve the problem.

Another option, if you have it, is to try ripping with a red-laser optical drive (DVD/CD only). I've had some discs that were read better with that longer wavelength. I'm assuming you've been using a Blu-Ray (blue-laser) drive even though you haven't exactly said so :)

If all your DVDs stop at the same offset number, then that suggests something wrong with the drive transport mechanism, but hitting the exact same offset across different discs would be very unusual...

Since other titles on the disk (featurettes) are ripping okay, that suggests SDF might not be your particular problem for the disk.
sidneyramirez

Re: UNRECOVERED READ ERROR and SDF ERROR on macOS Catalina

Post by sidneyramirez »

harmosciconillator wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:22 am
My experience has been that "Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR: UNRECOVERED READ ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_etc.VOB' at offset 'number'" most often means the physical disc is dirty or damaged. I see this more with discs I buy used, but can even happen with a brand new "untouched" disc.

Is this a specific DVD that errors at that specific point? Or is it all DVDs now error at that point.

If it's just the one DVD then inspect it closely with a magnifying glass and see if an appropriate cleaning might solve the problem.

Another option, if you have it, is to try ripping with a red-laser optical drive (DVD/CD only). I've had some discs that were read better with that longer wavelength. I'm assuming you've been using a Blu-Ray (blue-laser) drive even though you haven't exactly said so :)

If all your DVDs stop at the same offset number, then that suggests something wrong with the drive transport mechanism, but hitting the exact same offset across different discs would be very unusual...

Since other titles on the disk (featurettes) are ripping okay, that suggests SDF might not be your particular problem for the disk.
It's just one disc that is causing me issues. Literally every other disc I've used with MakeMKV has been flawless when it comes to ripping.