Archgon drive with UHD discs

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
ecormany

Archgon drive with UHD discs

Post by ecormany »

I have an Archgon 8107 series drive with the 1.01 firmware. Today I tried to do my first UHD rip, and it failed spectacularly.

I've read several threads that indicate that I might need to downgrade the firmware on the drive, which will then let MakeMKV access UHD discs. How can I do this on MacOS? I'm happy to use command-line utilities or other Unix-y stuff but will not consider running Windows in a virtual machine or mailing my drive to someone else to perform the downgrade. Is there a solution, or am I out of luck?
st4evr

Re: Archgon drive with UHD discs

Post by st4evr »

ecormany wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:02 pm
but will not consider running Windows in a virtual machine or mailing my drive to someone else to perform the downgrade. Is there a solution, or am I out of luck?
Since the current publicly available flashing utilities required for this are Windows only, then you are out of luck. You are limiting yourself on this.
Last edited by st4evr on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

ecormany wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:02 pm
I have an Archgon 8107 series drive with the 1.01 firmware. Today I tried to do my first UHD rip, and it failed spectacularly.

I've read several threads that indicate that I might need to downgrade the firmware on the drive, which will then let MakeMKV access UHD discs. How can I do this on MacOS? I'm happy to use command-line utilities or other Unix-y stuff but will not consider running Windows in a virtual machine or mailing my drive to someone else to perform the downgrade. Is there a solution, or am I out of luck?
There is a mac native flasher, but it is relatively low-level in two senses: it is a command-line tool, and at is not fool-proof at all. If you are comfortable with command-line and are confident that you won't flash "something just in case", please PM me and I'll provide instructions. I would need the current information for your drive (what is displayed on the right pane under LibreDrive information).
ecormany

Post by ecormany »

Here's the drive info. I'll also PM it separately.

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/rdisk4
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU40N
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: KZFHCCI1437
Firmware date: 2117-12-22 12:21
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 63

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.01
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)
ecormany

Post by ecormany »

Actually, I can't PM yet because my account is new. Can you initiate that conversation?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Just in case, this in now discussed in detail here - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=21278