On the fly decryption

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
alehel

On the fly decryption

Post by alehel »

I was wondering if the MakeMKV team has considered making a program that would do on-the-fly decryption of BD movies. I'm sure most of use use MakeMKV for use with Handbrake. Handbrake is now capable of reading blu-ray disc structures which means we don't actually need the mkv file format. I was therefore wondering if the team might consider putting out an additional app for on the fly like "fairmount" does for dvd discs. This would allow people to encode their movies without copying the entire disc to hd first, which should save most people quite a lot of time. I would pay $50 for that kind of program without thinking twice about it as it would save a lot of time and hassle for me :)

Just a thought.
skittle

Re: On the fly decryption

Post by skittle »

Its already somewhat possible, through the "streaming" mode.
Also can you link me to a source that says handbrake can read bluray structure and mpls? Because AFAIK handbrake does not do this by its self.
Btw most people rip to HDD first because it is faster and less taxing on the expensive bluray drive. ie ~20min to rip main track vs (many) hours letting your drive spin while converting straight from disc. Is 20min to rip first worth the hassle of defecting your drive from over use?

I dont speak for the Devs, but I do not believe it is the intention of MakeMKV to be a 'everything and the kitchen sink' application. On the other hand I do not believe it would be too terribly difficult to expose a virtual disk comprised of the decrypted contents.
alehel

Post by alehel »

What exactly you mean by the fact that it can't do it by itself, I don't know, but you don't need any aditional programs to do so. Reading the structure of an unencrypted bd is now built inn.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17816

That's the discussion from when they were implementing it. You need to use nightly builds to be able to use it. Been in there for a while now and I know it works as I've got Handbrake running with it right now. I only use the "backup" function for makemkv now as the mkv files have always been a pain on my computer with handbrake.

[EDIT] As far as I can tell, the only thing Handbrake doesn't support now is burning PGS subtitles. It's capable of doing dts -> ac3 now as well. Once PGS gets inn there, it will be complete :).
skittle

Post by skittle »

Ah it is doing it via libbluray, a project by Videolan. I didnt know it had progressed that far already.

This is good news, because now not only can handbrake read it, but VLC, mplayer, mediaplayer classic, etc can all read bluray structures
http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html
alehel

Post by alehel »

Nice one skittle. I was not aware of this. Well, that's a very good reason for someone to develop a on-the-fly decrypter as we would be able to watch encrypted blu-ray discs on our mac without ripping. That would be great.

[EDIT] I just opened a backup I made of Seven Pounds in VLC. I simply selected "Open File..." and selected the folder for the BD backup and it is working flawlessly. Chapter selection, audio selection, all flawless :D. Thanks for pointing this out. I just hope PGS support improves. Currently VLC will continue to display the subtitle text untill the next part of the dialog, which means if there is a scene with no dialog, which there often is, were left with the last sentence on screen. It doesn't seem to read the data for when to stop displaying.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Well, nothing prevents anyone to modify libbluray in such manner that it would use makemkvcon to decrypt files on the fly. If anyone is up to it, we'll welcome the effort and provide support.