The New Dylib Files and Automated Symbolic Link Process

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
MetalDave

The New Dylib Files and Automated Symbolic Link Process

Post by MetalDave »

I don't know if this has been covered in any of the release documentation for v1.15.x, but what is the difference between the libmmbd_new.dylib and libmmbd_old.dylib files?

It's also great that MakeMKV now takes care of the integration with the video players (e.g. VLC). Now, we don't have to create the symbolic links in the ~/lib/ directory using the previously established method.

After a little digging, I found MakeMKV creates a symbolic link in a location local to the player application. For VLC, there's a symbolic link for libmmbd.dylib inside the /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/ directory that points to the libmmbd_new.dylib:

Code: Select all

libmmbd.dylib@ -> /Applications/MakeMKV.app/Contents/MacOS/../lib/libmmbd_new.dylib
I didn't find a symbolic link for libbdplus.dylib or libaacs.dylib, but that doesn't mean they're not tucked away somewhere. (If anyone finds them, please chime in.) Perhaps VLC is now capable of using the libmmbd.dylib file directly (albeit as a symlink to libmmbd_new.dylib) without the pretense of having faux files named appropriately to mask the true identity. I'd love to know how it works now.

I'm glad it works with fewer steps, but I'm just curious as to how it was achieved.
Support MakeMKV - Buy a license!
(Seriously, you use this thing enough; A lifetime license is well worth it.)

Thank you to all of my fellow supporters!