The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Jman5150

uhd friendly drives not being uhd friendly

Post by Jman5150 »

i have both newly gotten ...

ASUS BW-16D1HT
and
LG WH16NS40

both are ejecting uhd right away....is this normal?

I was on the understanding these two drives cold transfer data from uhd even though they aren't uhd burners...was i misinformed?

could the case its in make a difference? getting frustrated.

thanks in advanced
st4evr

Re: uhd friendly drives not being uhd friendly

Post by st4evr »

Gonna have to provide more details so that someone can better advise if possible. Help us help you. Being vague and/or simply saying “they don’t work” is not enough to help in an online forum.

Have you read the guide?

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

Did you already flash your drives with the correct required (or any) firmware to make them UHD Friendly?

If so, which one?

When you open MakeMKV it will report drive information in a similar fashion to how it’s posted here by another forum member:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=21793

So, what is the drive information as returned by MakeMKV for those drives?

How old are these drives? Recently purchased or years old?
BlueMac77

Post by BlueMac77 »

Jman5150 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:16 am

ASUS BW-16D1HT
and
LG WH16NS40

I was on the understanding these two drives cold transfer data from uhd even though they aren't uhd burners...was i misinformed?

thanks in advanced
Your drives ejecting 4K UHD discs, it’s probable your ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG WH16NS40 don’t have the correct firmware to read and rip 4K UHD discs. I have a ASUS BW-16D1HT drive and rips 4K UHD in Mac OS High Sierra or Mojave.
jayb3369

Post by jayb3369 »

BlueMac77 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:53 pm
Jman5150 wrote:

ASUS BW-16D1HT
and
LG WH16NS40

thanks in advanced
Your drives ejecting 4K UHD discs, it’s probable your ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG WH16NS40 don’t have the correct firmware to read and rip 4K UHD discs. I have a ASUS BW-16D1HT drive and rips 4K UHD in Mac OS High Sierra or Mojave.
BlueMac77,

How do You flash the firmware using a Mac? Considering purchasing the same drive and enclosure on Amazon, but won’t until I know it’s Mac compatible

Thanks.
BlueMac77

Post by BlueMac77 »

jayb3369 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:44 am
BlueMac77 wrote:
Jman5150 wrote:

ASUS BW-16D1HT
and
LG WH16NS40

thanks in advanced
BlueMac77,

How do You flash the firmware using a Mac? Considering purchasing the same drive and enclosure on Amazon, but won’t until I know it’s Mac compatible

Thanks.
Hi. Sorry for the late reply. The flashing needs to be performed in a Windows OS. Cannot be done in a Mac OS. There's a complete guide on flashing in this Link, check it out. Some members here are offering flashing services like Jonghotti, BillyCar,MartyMcNuts, ASCom. Good Luck

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

jayb3369 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:44 am
BlueMac77 wrote:
Jman5150 wrote:

ASUS BW-16D1HT
and
LG WH16NS40

thanks in advanced
BlueMac77,

Thanks.
If all you have is a Mac and need to flash a drive please contact me to simply purchase a pre-flashed solution and you'l be all set. <BlueMac77> and now jman <5150> are happy customers and wonderful muman beings as well!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829