Blu Ray region codes

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
attilag78

Blu Ray region codes

Post by attilag78 »

Hi everybody,

I searched the forum about information on the BD region codes but wasn't really successful :(
I'd like to know whether the BD region codes are enforced in MakeMKV. I have one Blu Ray from Europe and my US PS3 won't play it (I assume, didn't have time to actually try it). I'm thinking about getting in the BD ripping (only have like 3-4 BDs as I didn't have a player before) and this would mean purchasing discs from Europe (we live in the US but we're from Europe, not native in English) and most of course US ones, as well.

Region codes are no problem with DVDs as we have two laptops where the DVD regions are set to 1 and 2 but I'd like to avoid buying 2 BD drives.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Attila

PS: we have Macs running OS X 10.6.5 and my 13" MacBook Pro (2.53GHz, 4GB RAM) would be the ripper machine.
mike admin

Re: Blu Ray region codes

Post by mike admin »

Unlike DVD drives BD drives don't enforce region coding. MakeMKV should open disc for any region.
attilag78

Post by attilag78 »

mike admin wrote:Unlike DVD drives BD drives don't enforce region coding. MakeMKV should open disc for any region.
Thanks Mike, that's great news! I just need to get an external drive and can go ahead :)
alehel

Post by alehel »

mike admin wrote:Unlike DVD drives BD drives don't enforce region coding. MakeMKV should open disc for any region.
Really? Cool. I guess I'll be purchasing some Criterion films :)