Bluray-reader compatibility?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Maverik

Bluray-reader compatibility?

Post by Maverik »

I'm having plans to buy a bluray-reader for my iMac. Are all drives compatible with MacOS X 10.6 and makemkv? Anyone tried Lite-On iHOS104 for example? I'm planning to use a USB to SATA adapter that I already have.
Maverik

Re: Bluray-reader compatibility?

Post by Maverik »

What drives do you other people use and recommend?
planetWayne

Post by planetWayne »

Hi There!

I've just started using this myself and have recently got an external USB Plextor drive. http://amzn.to/dVUgOP

All powered through the USB port so no extra wall warts to worry about. Top loader. Has worked for me so far!
Maverik

Post by Maverik »

planetWayne wrote:Hi There!

I've just started using this myself and have recently got an external USB Plextor drive. http://amzn.to/dVUgOP

All powered through the USB port so no extra wall warts to worry about. Top loader. Has worked for me so far!
Nice. Is it correct that you need to use "direct mode" for this drive to work? Or does the drive work natively in MacOS?
planetWayne

Post by planetWayne »

Doh!
Long wait I know - just found that you asked a question (no notifications set ( :oops: ))

I must admit - I've run it with and without the "direct mode" drivers - both seem to work - no real comment on if they improve the speed or not as I just leave the thing running and come back in the morning...
(I've got notifications set now so - hopefully!!)

(off to find the defaults on here)
Wayne.
petee

Post by petee »

Hi,

I just bought this drive and can't get it to mount discs. System profiler sees the drive, and MakeMKV sees the drive, but BDs won't load.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "direct mode" and how do you activate it?

I have to admit I didn't even look at the disc that came with it (seemed to be Windows only)

Cheers
Pete
planetWayne

Post by planetWayne »

Hi Pete,

Might have got my terminology out :roll:

But have a look here - its to do with using DASPI library/drivers.

Cheers
Wayne.

As a general update - I've now got Lion running (via upgrade) and its all still working as advertised.
petee

Post by petee »

Hmmmm, thanks for the clarification - in that case I guess I'm already using it in direct mode, and it's not working.

I'll try it in OS mode and see if that helps (although apparently it's slower).

Otherwise I might have to get a different drive....
petee

Post by petee »

Interestingly, I still can't get this to work with my Snow Leopard Macbook Pro, but it works just fine with my Lion Mac Mini.

Same processor, same memory.

Gonna hang onto it 'cos the mac mini is the one I need it work with, but found it interesting....