DASPI Kernel?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
cheetodust

DASPI Kernel?

Post by cheetodust »

Where do you find the DASPI Kernel for download and how do you install it?
applemac

Re: DASPI Kernel?

Post by applemac »

The DASPI extension is in the same folder that is created after you download MakeMKV. Open the folder and the DASPI kernel extension installer should be inside.
voip-ninja

Post by voip-ninja »

How would I remove the DASPI kernel extensions? I installed them and it seems to have caused performance to take a serious hit. read speeds on my LG BD/DVD ROM drive have gone from 6-8X with DVD down to 2-5X along with lots of slow downs and start ups where read speed goes in the tank. Ripping a dual layer DVD has gone from taking 15 minutes to taking almost an hour.

Thanks
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

You need to remove daspi.kext from /System/Library/Extensions . What you describe sounds strange, as DASPI is not used at all during disc read, only during disc scan.

Are other programs affected?

What happens if you install and run previous version, 1.6.3 while keeping DASPI - is read speed also affected?
voip-ninja

Post by voip-ninja »

mike admin wrote:You need to remove daspi.kext from /System/Library/Extensions . What you describe sounds strange, as DASPI is not used at all during disc read, only during disc scan.

Are other programs affected?

What happens if you install and run previous version, 1.6.3 while keeping DASPI - is read speed also affected?
Hi Mike.

I rebooted the drive and it seems to be working better now. It does seem though that with this new version of MakeMKV I am getting slower access on my drive than I was getting before in "direct access" mode, where I would normally see 7X to 8X read speeds on dual layer DVD.

What I see now is that the drive goes very slow while accessing a title, it will be reading at something like .01X for quite a few seconds before gradually getting up to speeds of 4X-5X at most, then repeat this behavior for each title being ripped.

A disc used to take me around 15-20 mins to rip, now it is taking over half an hour, so it is absolutely slower. I will try removing the kernel extension later today and see if it has any impact whatsoever on the speed with the new MakeMKV version.

Thanks.
brian163

Post by brian163 »

You can disable a kernel extension on the fly. (Removing the file alone will require a reboot as the extension is already loaded into memory.)

Using an account with Administrative (and thus sudo) privs, open Terminal and type:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/daspi.kext

(use "kextload ..." to re-enable)

Brian
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

brian163 wrote: sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/daspi.kext
Make sure that MakeMKV is not running when doing this.

And yes, this is the best way to turn DASPI on or off.
vinger

Post by vinger »

Hi,
I've just updated MakeMKV to 1.6.4 and I've installed the daspi kext as recommended.
Since I've made these updates I can't rip any of my BLURAY (for DVD it works fine). :cry:
I remove the DASPI kext and I reboot but MakeMKV163 doesn't work for BLURAY !
I don't understand ?
Can someone could help m ?

Best regards.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

vinger wrote:Hi,
I've just updated MakeMKV to 1.6.4 and I've installed the daspi kext as recommended.
Since I've made these updates I can't rip any of my BLURAY (for DVD it works fine). :cry:
I remove the DASPI kext and I reboot but MakeMKV163 doesn't work for BLURAY !
I don't understand ?
Can someone could help m ?

Best regards.
Please enable debug logging and post the debug log.
vinger

Post by vinger »

Ok, here is the file...
Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Vincent
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
Debug logging
(56.52 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
vinger

Post by vinger »

I can add a thing I've just tested : With AnyDVDHD under a Windows in a Parallels environment, it runs correctly and I can rip all of my Bluray.
So what's the matter of my MAC environment, or a false parameter in MakeMKV ??!
Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Vincent
vinger

Post by vinger »

Hello,
I've just made the 1.6.5 upgrade of my MakeMKV, cause I thought it solved my problem...
But I've the same problem with the new release, and I can't rip Bluray disc I've already ripped in the past...!?
I join my new log file.
Thanks for your help.
Best regards,

Vincent
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
My log file
(32.34 KiB) Downloaded 568 times