Video Ripped But No Audio

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
devon9

Video Ripped But No Audio

Post by devon9 »

Ripped the blu-ray of Criterion Collection's "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence," using a 2012 Mac Mini running MacOS Sierra 10.12. The video rips nicely but there is no audio track. I've checked and re-checked the settings and all is normal. Don't know why this is happening, and searching the FAQ and Forums showed other people were having a similar problem years ago but there was no answer / resolution. If anyone out there has the solution .... I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
Woodstock

Re: Video Ripped But No Audio

Post by Woodstock »

No audio as there was none in the MKV file, or none the Mac finds when you play it? Did you de-select any tracks before ripping?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Radiocomms237

Re: Video Ripped But No Audio

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Firstly, analyze the file with MediaInfo to see whether the audio tracks are actually present and if so, which codecs they're using (there are various flavors of Dolby Digital, DTS, raw PCM, etc.)?

Or do you recall what codecs were listed by MakeMKV when you opened the disc?

I suspect that MakeMKV ripped the file correctly but the default audio track uses a codec that your player doesn't support?

Can you select any other audio tracks during playback (assuming there were multiple tracks available on the disc)?

If the above is true you have two options, either add the required codec to your player, or convert the audio track to something your player can use.