Choppy Playback

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
darkbasic

Choppy Playback

Post by darkbasic »

I recently ripped several movies. The first set I ripped were more recent movies, the last few are older blu rays. They are showing choppy playback no matter what I do to VLC. It appears that the choppiness is in the mkv file. I read one of the posts about VC-1. I installed mkvextract and tried to extract it that way but to no avail. What is going on? What can I do to fix the choppy playback?

Thanks
woodmeister

Re: Choppy Playback

Post by woodmeister »

Do the movies contain DTS-HD audio? VLC has real problems playing back movies
that contain DTS-HD. Also, what system are you using for playback? Do you have
enough horsepower to playback the very high bitrate that BluRay movies contain?

Also, there are some movies that seem problematic with VLC, but playback fine on other
players (PLEX,XBMC,etc.).

MakeMKV is probably not the cause. I have ripped many BluRays with MakeMKV, and any
playback issues were always player related.
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

I definitely have enough horsepower to play back the movies. I've gotten several to work flawlessly, but the other ones keep being choppy in the exact same spots. That's why I assume there is a problem with the mkv file itself
skittle

Post by skittle »

More likely its a VLC issue. VLC is known to generally suck and their devs don't care.

You can confirm by posting mediainfo output here, and by playing back with mplayer instead of VLC
Some mplayer builds with gui available here and others on google: http://www.mplayerosx.ch/

mediainfo: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net
HiPulse

Post by HiPulse »

You have the latest version of VLC I'm assuming?
speters415

Post by speters415 »

I have mplayer OSX Extended and while it will play back my movies smoothly I have never been able to get 5.1 sound. If I enable pass-through for hardware decoder I get no sound at all. Has any one been able to get 5.1 out? I have no issues with vlc or xmbc playing back 5.1.

Thanks,
Steve
ToxicDreamz

Post by ToxicDreamz »

Go to the VLC preferences and navigate to the advanced settings > Video codecs > FFmpeg

You should now see an option that says "Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding". Set the box list next to it to "All". Save and restart VLC and now play your MKV file.