USB Blu-ray Drive Compatible?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
newbie23

USB Blu-ray Drive Compatible?

Post by newbie23 »

Hello,

Newbie here. Apologies if this has been asked before but I have a question regarding Blu-ray playback. I plan to purchase a USB Blu-ray external drive for my MacBook Pro. Will the integration option with VLC be available for this external drive or does the Blu-ray drive need to be part of the machine for it to work?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Update! The beta key has allowed me to successfully integrate VLC/MakeMKV and my Blu-rays are playing like a dream. I'm not able to see the Blu-ray menu but I'm not fussed about that at all. Thank you for this great piece of software!
Last edited by newbie23 on Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcoke22

Re: USB Blu-ray Drive Compatible?

Post by dcoke22 »

It can be external.

I think one might have to have a paid-for MakeMKV license to use VLC integration. I don't remember for sure though.

Most here are just ripping discs, not watching from the disc. Storage is cheap. :)
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:19 pm

I think one might have to have a paid-for MakeMKV license to use VLC integration. I don't remember for sure though.
Mike says that's not the case I know I was saying that for a while because I had multiple people say it does not work when using the beta but Mike says makemkv integration should work on the trial or beta key.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
newbie23

Post by newbie23 »

dcoke22 wrote:
It can be external.

Most here are just ripping discs, not watching from the disc. Storage is cheap. :)
Thank you for the reply :) I read it's free if you use the beta key. I can only give it a try.

I'm actually not using it for watching. Maybe a unique circumstance but I need to screenshot Blu-ray frames (in their original resolution) for my job and have found it surprisingly difficult to do. I'm hoping integrating MakeMKV/VLC comes through for me.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:55 pm
dcoke22 wrote:

Mike says that's not the case I know I was saying that for a while because I had multiple people say it does not work when using the beta but Mike says makemkv integration should work on the trial or beta key.
That's good to know!!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

newbie23 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:33 am
I'm actually not using it for watching. Maybe a unique circumstance but I need to screenshot Blu-ray frames (in their original resolution) for my job and have found it surprisingly difficult to do. I'm hoping integrating MakeMKV/VLC comes through for me.
I'm curious about why screenshots are hard to do? On my Mac, it seems I can use the built-in OS screenshot tool to take a screen shot of my MPV window playing a blu-ray rip.
newbie23

Post by newbie23 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:00 am
newbie23 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:33 am
I'm curious about why screenshots are hard to do? On my Mac, it seems I can use the built-in OS screenshot tool to take a screen shot of my MPV window playing a blu-ray rip.
The OS screeenshot tool is definitely easy but it's more of a copy in this instance. It's capturing the screen so the frame is visible but the true quality of the disc/transfer isn't represented. I need to extract/save individual frames in their original resolution (usually 1920x1080) to show this. The VLC screenshot tool pulls the original frame directly from the disc.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I think I understand. The VLC snapshot tool seems to produce output that's related to the source size & aspect ratio regardless of however the user has manipulated the VLC window.

I'm not sure it would produce different output from a blu-ray vs a MakeMKV rip of the blu-ray, but I'm not able to test that at the moment. I suppose it would matter if you needed a snapshot of a menu or some other aspect of the blu-ray experience that output from MakeMKV typically leaves behind.