V1.17.5 not stable

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
harryman

V1.17.5 not stable

Post by harryman »

Hi,

after updating to MakeMKV 1.17.5 there are several problems, so I returned to 1.17.4.

Problems are:
#1: Doesn't find the bluray drive - have to switch off/on drive and restart program to get it working.
#2: Kills my Mac: while reading disk, the computer turned off, then comes back with the apple logo, but doesn't start automatically. Have to switch off/on to restart.
#3: Unexpected change of program: MacOS-security routine warns me of an unexpected change in den code of MakeMKV after the restart. Deleted the program and installed it again, then got again errors #1 and #2. Didn't wait for #3 rising again, made a downgrade to v1.17.4. No more problems then…

I'm on an iMac 27" of 2017 (iMac18,3) with MacOS Monterey (12.7).
lunalone

Re: V1.17.5 not stable

Post by lunalone »

This happens also for me. Randomly discs can not be read and if I don't quit the program at once I get a Kernel panic. Happened like 5 times yesterday. I'm using an Intel Macbook pro and Ventura 13.5.2.
lunalone

Post by lunalone »

After downgrading to 1.17.4 the kernel panics still happen. They started with 1.17.5 installation.
This is from the report:
"macOSPanicFlags" : "0xc",
"macOSPanicString" : "panic(cpu 8 caller 0xffffff8002a4b91b): mount_common(): mount of udf filesystem failed with 6, but vnode list is not empty. @vfs_syscalls.c:1768\nPanicked task
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

I have had no issues running this version. Studio Mac.
stevesnell

Post by stevesnell »

v1.17.5 no longer recognizes my drive. "The program can't find any usable optical drives"

MacMini (M1), Sonoma (14.0).
spinout

Post by spinout »

I am running on an M1 Mac Mini on Sonoma, and just purchased and installed MakeMKV 1.17.5 yesterday (yes, paid for it!), and received a Billycar11 Pioneer BDR-212 drive with recommended Vantec case. Have had no issues whatsoever reading and saving 4 non-BR DVDs so far. An OS crash would more likely imply a driver issue (is your installation 100% vanilla, i.e. any old or non-standard kernel extensions?) or hardware issue.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

spinout wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:29 pm
I am running on an M1 Mac Mini on Sonoma, and just purchased and installed MakeMKV 1.17.5 yesterday (yes, paid for it!), and received a Billycar11 Pioneer BDR-212 drive with recommended Vantec case. Have had no issues whatsoever reading and saving 4 non-BR DVDs so far. An OS crash would more likely imply a driver issue (is your installation 100% vanilla, i.e. any old or non-standard kernel extensions?) or hardware issue.
Thanks for the review enjoy the drive
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I've been using MakeMKV on macOS for a long time. I occasionally get a kernel panic when using MakeMKV. I've seen this behavior since I started using MakeMKV many versions ago and over several releases of macOS. For me, it happens when something has gone sideways during a rip and I'm trying to end the process. The kernel panic always originates from macOS filesystem code, usually Apple's UDF filesystem code. It happens more often with my LG drive than it does with my Pioneer drive, but the Pioneer drive is more well behaved in general. I've found that best thing to do is just hit the physical eject button my LG drive without touching any of the software controls. Once I can get the disc to eject, the drive seems stop freaking out and the software side recovers after a few seconds. Starting with the cancel button in MakeMKV first seems the most likely way to end up with a kernel panic.