My MacBook M1 won't run MakeMKV cuz it "can't verify it is free of malware".

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
JimBobH

My MacBook M1 won't run MakeMKV cuz it "can't verify it is free of malware".

Post by JimBobH »

As of December 31, 2023:

My MacBook M1, with the current version of MacOS Sonoma, won't run MakeMKV cuz it "can't verify it is free of malware".

Please tell me what I can do about this.

Thanks for any help.

Jim
Woodstock

Re: My MacBook M1 won't run MakeMKV cuz it "can't verify it is free of malware".

Post by Woodstock »

Mac software is locked down as far as anything that is NOT signed off on by Apple, and signed off for each and every version you might encounter.

Mike does not submit MakeMKV to be signed off, partly because they charge for every sign-off, but probably partially because you might do something illegal with it, in which case Apple won't sign off on it.

You CAN tell MacOS to allow it to run. You should have been having to do this for the last few years, though...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Necronar

Re: My MacBook M1 won't run MakeMKV cuz it "can't verify it is free of malware".

Post by Necronar »

When you try opening and see that message, you then have to go to System Settings > Privacy & Security and you'll see it listed there in one of the sections with the option to Open. Just click on Open and it'll allow it to open from then on. I would screenshot it for you, but I've already allowed it and it's running flawlessly. It's just extra security that Apple puts on apps that aren't signed and running through their app store.