Pioneer BDR-S13E-X on Mac

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Konten

Pioneer BDR-S13E-X on Mac

Post by Konten »

I was wondering whether anyone is using the BDR-S13E-X under MacOS in an external case?

The Pioneer website only mentions Windows compatibility...

Thanks, guys!!
dcoke22

Re: Pioneer BDR-S13E-X on Mac

Post by dcoke22 »

The Pioneer BDR-S13E-X mentions Windows because the Cyberlink software it comes with requires Windows. The drive itself should work just fine on a Mac.

I have both a Pioneer BDR-S13UBK and a Pioneer BDR-212UBK in external enclosures that work fine with my Mac. The Cyberlink software doesn't work, of course, but I wasn't interested in using it anyway.

So technically I can't say for sure, since I haven't specifically used the exact drive you mentioned, but since I have two modern Pioneer drives that work fine on my Mac, including one of the S13 generation, I feel confident that the S13E-X will work.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I'm sure it will work.
Konten

Post by Konten »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:22 pm
The Pioneer BDR-S13E-X mentions Windows because the Cyberlink software it comes with requires Windows. The drive itself should work just fine on a Mac.

I have both a Pioneer BDR-S13UBK and a Pioneer BDR-212UBK in external enclosures that work fine with my Mac. The Cyberlink software doesn't work, of course, but I wasn't interested in using it anyway.

So technically I can't say for sure, since I haven't specifically used the exact drive you mentioned, but since I have two modern Pioneer drives that work fine on my Mac, including one of the S13 generation, I feel confident that the S13E-X will work.
Thanks, that's good to know. I noticed that none of the internal drives on the Pioneer website mention Mac support. I guess the reasoning behind that is that there are no Macs with 5.25" drive bays rather than some other technical incompatibility.
Kreeblah

Post by Kreeblah »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:22 pm

I can speak to the US model (the BDR-S13U-X), which does. I just got one, which I put in a Vantec NST-540S3-BK enclosure, and it works just fine with my M1 Macbook Pro.

Really, any enclosure that properly adapts an optical drive to USB should work. That's the key part here moreso than the specific drive itself. SATA is a very well-developed standard at this point, but some enclosures do the USB adaptation bit better than others.

That said, the Vantec enclosure works great for my drive. I imagine OWC's Mercury Pro would, too, except it's apparently not long enough to physically hold these Pioneer drives.