Cover Art saved in .mkv file?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Augustaprime

Cover Art saved in .mkv file?

Post by Augustaprime »

Hi sorry I'm new to mkv and ripping softwares. I've been ripping a bunch of blu rays and dvds to my harddrive with MakeMKV. I have been ripping them straight to hard drive loaded onto a network streamer HIFI Rose RS250A. this network streamer has the ability to play video files including ones within a .mkv file. The hard drive is network connected and I'm able to get access to it through the MakeMKV software folder search. The files on the Hifi Rose streamer are shown as icons of sorts that are shown by cover art. However I am having issues with the cover art not showing for most of my blu rays and dvds, it just shows as blank, and the Hifi Rose support team is not able to replicate my issue. I'm starting to wonder if it's a conflict with how I am saving these files. Does the MakeMKV software automatically save cover art within the .mkv file? For blu rays I believe I see that "cover art" is listed amongst the different titles you can choose to rip or not rip. However I have not seen that listed for DVDs. So is cover art automatically saved within the .mkv file for blu rays and not dvds?

For background, the HIFI Rose team said to save a .jpg file within the folder where the .mkv file is saved with the title "front.jpg" so they Hifi Rose streamer will know to display it as the cover art, however that is not working for most my rips. Any help or input is appreciated. Thank you
Ezatoka

Re: Cover Art saved in .mkv file?

Post by Ezatoka »

Augustaprime wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:51 am
Does the MakeMKV software automatically save cover art within the .mkv file? For blu rays I believe I see that "cover art" is listed amongst the different titles you can choose to rip or not rip. However I have not seen that listed for DVDs. So is cover art automatically saved within the .mkv file for blu rays and not dvds?
I believe it is just like that. As you said, on many BluRays, MakeMKV lists an attachment:
(https://i.imgur.com/LLp1d9B.jpeg if the image isn't shown)

If you select this, the file will be placed inside of the MKV file as attachment. And many programs can find this and display it as cover. On DVDs I am currently not sure if I've ever seen such an attachment.

If you organize your movies with something like Kodi (I use TinyMediaManager) it gives you the possibility to download cover images:
(https://i.imgur.com/EBM6G5J.jpeg if the image isn't shown)