Can't extract audio from MKVs

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
kirkmc

Can't extract audio from MKVs

Post by kirkmc »

've used MakeMKV to rip a blu-ray disk to a bunch of MKV files. All the files play perfectly.

I want to rip the audio, and tried using VLC's Streaming/Exporting Wizard. This works fine for short tracks - less than a few minutes long - but for anything longer (I've tried both 30-min and 2-hour tracks) I just get noise, no matter what settings I use. Also, in some cases, choosing WAV results in a huge file, many GB, whereas it should be about 600 MB per hour.

Can anyone help? Is this a problem with the files created by MakeMKV? Given that some files from a disk work, and others don't, I don't know, but I can't figure out what might be wrong.
Smithcraft

Re: Can't extract audio from MKVs

Post by Smithcraft »

Well, you could use a mkv demuxing tool that would split the various tracks. The audio would be a mka file.

SC
kirkmc

Post by kirkmc »

Smithcraft wrote:Well, you could use a mkv demuxing tool that would split the various tracks. The audio would be a mka file.

SC
What type of program would do that? And what do I then do with an mka file?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

kirkmc wrote:Also, in some cases, choosing WAV results in a huge file, many GB, whereas it should be about 600 MB per hour.
WAV is basically PCM (uncompressed audio). 2-channel Stereo @ 48 kHz with 16-bit samples is about 659 MiB per hour. But 5.1 @ 48 kHz is about 1.93 GiB (16-bit samples) or 2.90 GiB (24-bit samples) per hour.
kirkmc

Post by kirkmc »

Romansh wrote:
kirkmc wrote:Also, in some cases, choosing WAV results in a huge file, many GB, whereas it should be about 600 MB per hour.
WAV is basically PCM (uncompressed audio). 2-channel Stereo @ 48 kHz with 16-bit samples is about 659 MiB per hour. But 5.1 @ 48 kHz is about 1.93 GiB (16-bit samples) or 2.90 GiB (24-bit samples) per hour.
I only ripped the 2 channel audio.
lesdiabolique

Post by lesdiabolique »

Every time I rip a movie to MKV, the audio becomes two channel even though I have checked the 3/2+1 box. Furthermore, the sound is more a mono track than a stereo one.
Why won't it transfer the original audio?
My mate says that he has had no problem with this. Is it because I'm putting it onto a disc? The video is brilliant so what gives?

Confused of Wilts

Please tell if anyone knows the answer! :(
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

If you post your complete work flow we might be able to help you.

SC