Completely Confused: Blu Ray movies become MKV files?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
danvielesonoma

Completely Confused: Blu Ray movies become MKV files?

Post by danvielesonoma »

Could someone explain how MakeMKV creates an MKV file I can watch on my 17" 3.06ghz MBPro? That't the reason I've decided to try this thing.

I've tried with three discs, and I get a batch of files from blu ray discs that neither open in MKV or VLC. My DVD Major League made a nice title00.MKV file of about 4gb that plays beautifully though has no menus, etc. My first Blu Ray movie made a 24gb file with this batch of files within: AACS, BDMV, CERTIFICATE, discatt.dat, full of files that don't open with either program. The second Blu Ray, where I selected to decrypt video files, made a 34gb file containing: BDMV, CERTIFICATE, and MAKEMKV files, again full of files that wouldn't open as well.

I'd love to buy this program, but don't know how to work it. I simply want to rip my blu rays into files I can read on my hi def MBPro on the road. Anyone show me the ropes or point to an instruction file? Thanks.
Romansh

Re: Completely Confused: Blu Ray movies become MKV files?

Post by Romansh »

There are two features in MakeMKV:

1) the feature that creates MKV files; works for both DVD, Blu-ray and HD-DVD

2) the "backup" feature; works for Blu-ray

You used feature (1) for your DVD and feature (2) for your Blu-ray. To create an MKV file from your Blu-ray disc, just follow the same procedure you already used for your DVD, instead of using the backup feature.
setarip_old

Re: Completely Confused: Blu Ray movies become MKV files?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

A bit more information/clarification regarding Item #2 by "Romansh":

The reference to "backup feature" is the capability of MakeMKV to make a FULL DISC copy of a Blu-ray disc...