slow makeMKV to Handbrake from Blu Ray

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
nlombard1

slow makeMKV to Handbrake from Blu Ray

Post by nlombard1 »

I have the Blu Ray Star Trek (New) disc and made it into MakeMKV file using external player, takes an hour or so, thats okay.
When I convert it with handbrake, because it wont play on my Mac's VLC very well as a makeMKV, that is taking about 16 hours, only about 3 bits per second rate vs a DVD rate usually about 30 per second, and the final file is about 8 Gigs, which seems small, though seems to play well.

Any ideas how to speed this up? I am a newbie and not too techie so please dummy it down for me! Thanks
Woodstock

Re: slow makeMKV to Handbrake from Blu Ray

Post by Woodstock »

Are you running the release version of Handbrake (0.9.5) or one of the nightly builds? There are significant speed improvements in the nightlies!

But compressing a BD at high definition does take a while, and a lot of memory.

8gb is about right for Star Trek at 1920x1080 resolution, compressed with quality set at the default RF:20.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

I don't know the capabilities of VLC on a Mac, but I'd figure out why the file MakeMKV creates won't play - unless you need to save space.
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

A Bluray has close to six times the data that a DVD does, so it takes longer to transcode with Handbrake.

Also, I presume you mean 3 frames per second, not 3 bits per second.

I would also recommend asking at the Handbrake forums for Handbrake advice.

SC
speters415

Post by speters415 »

.mkv files playback fine with vlc, I have been doing it for many years. But every once in a while I will have a file that doesn't playback smoothly, but that is only maybe 1 out of every 20-30. What type of mac are you using?
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

I doubt you will get a response as that user hasn't been back since the 25th of February.

SC