Could Not Read "Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete"

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
lagrange60

Could Not Read "Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete"

Post by lagrange60 »

MakeMKV could not read the blu-ray movie titled above. I got the same error (below) every time:

MakeMKV v1.7.71 darwin(x86-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /Users/Dardon/MakeMKV_log.txt
Optical drive "BD-RE ASUS BW-12D1S-U 1.20" opened in DASPI v1.3 mode.
DEBUG: Code 100864261 at ''c-4/3TWcW33%ys+5:213132100
DEBUG: Code 100864261 at ''c-4/3TWcW33%ys+5:29393930
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-12D1S-U 1.20' at offset '24155650048'

I though the problem was with my Samsung external blu-ray drive, but I got the same error with an Asus drive. This is the only blu-ray movie that I have had trouble with so far.

I am able to see the disc's content, and realize that there are several Playstation 3 files on there that are not on the other discs. There is a Unix Executable File called PS3_DISC.SFB, and two folders named PS3_UPDATE and PS3_VPRM. Could it be that MakeMKV cannot read these files (and hence the above error)? Please help!
Woodstock

Re: Could Not Read "Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Compl

Post by Woodstock »

Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR
The drives are having a problem reading the disk itself. The usual clean-disk-then-retry is the first step.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
lagrange60

Post by lagrange60 »

The disc was cleaned prior to my many read attempts. In fact, I had to clean it because my regular blu-ray player couldn't read it either. The disc worked fine in the player afterwards, but my two external blu-ray drives still couldn't read it.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Most stand-alone players will accept the occasional sector error and skip over it. Ripping is a different matter, though, because the object is to get a 100% accurate copy, not 99.95%.

Just a thought - when you cleaned it, did you wax it? I do my cleaning with Pledge furniture polish. Spray it on, work it with my finger, then wipe clean with a soft cloth. It cuts finger prints, and will fill fine scratches. Pledge doesn't have any weird solvents in it (just water) to attack the surface.

My next level of "clean" is to use tooth paste (very, very fine abrasive) then wax, but I have never tried that on a BD, just DVDs.
lagrange60

Post by lagrange60 »

I just encountered the same MakeMKV error with two other blu-ray discs. I haven't tried the cleaning methods that you suggested, but since scratches and cracks (however small) are indicative of missing/damaged data, I am not going to use these discs.

Although the cleaning solution may fill the scratches/cracks, it won't fill in the missing data, so I am going to get replacement discs instead. The cleaning methods that you suggested are completely new to me, though, so I appreciate your help. I may need to use them one day!
Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! »

Cleaning and filling should work wonders as long as the scratches doesn't go through the top layer of the disc.

The reason such shallow scratches causes problems is that they cause diffraction, scattering the laser beam. Filling with a polish such as specially formulated 'disc restorers' or even the mentioned furniture polish helps the light go straight from the lens, through the top layer and reach the reflective layer without being scattered or bent.

Remember, with MakeMKV, you only need to be able to read your BD/DVD once!
Mac Mini, 2005 with superdrive, 2GB RAM, 80GB SSD, Core2Duo 2.16GHz CPU...
2 x LG USB DVD-drives and 'old spiteful' an IDE-based DVD-reader from a desktop connected to the internals of an old FW-HDD.
Writes Sci-fi:
http://www.planetfurry.com/~anthony/
lagrange60

Post by lagrange60 »

I'm currently using the spray intended for sunglasses sold at Sunglass Hut. I don't think it "fills" scratches and small cracks on Blu-ray discs, though, because I have a few movies that do not rip correctly no matter how many times the discs are cleaned.

I'm going to try the Pledge furniture polish, but there are several varieties and I'm not sure which one to pick. The only variety that my nearby Staples store carries is lemon-scented, at 5.5 oz and for $4.99. Woodstock, is this what you are using?

I'm willing to try anything at this point because I've been bombarded lately with three kinds of disc-reading errors. The first is the "Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR," which I now know for sure is the result of scratched/cracked discs. The second usually occurs halfway through a rip. Makemkv doesn't specifically say that an error has occurred, but the whole ripping process just freezes while the "Remaining Time" keeps increasing exponentially. This has been happening only with scratched/cracked discs. The third is a bit strange. My Blu-ray player simply ejects the disc a few seconds after insertion. I cleaned and re-cleaned the disc (even though there is no noticeable damage), restarted my computer, Blu-ray player and Makemkv, but to no avail. If there is damage to the disc that I cannot see, hopefully the Pledge spray will correct it.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The scent of the Pledge doesn't matter, unless you use the DVDs near a nest of bees.... ;)

Most versions of Pledge (and "store brand" furniture polishes) are fine. It's just a water-soluble wax. I've used it for cleaning helmet visors, aircraft and motorcycle windshields, and, occasionally, wood furniture. Grocery stores are a better place to buy it, because it's cheaper... I buy the non-aerosol pump bottle; the 16 ounce bottle I bought over 10 years ago is still nearly 1/4 full.