Error when outputing to samba share

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
khargy

Error when outputing to samba share

Post by khargy »

I'm reading in an ISO from a Samba share and then outputting to the same share. I get the following errors:

Saving 5 titles into directory /Volumes/TV_01/24
Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while writing data to '/Volumes/TV_01/24/title00.mkv' at offset '67017950'
Failed to save title 0 to file /Volumes/TV_01/24/title00.mkv
Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while writing data to '/Volumes/TV_01/24/title01.mkv' at offset '66663768'
Failed to save title 1 to file /Volumes/TV_01/24/title01.mkv
Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while writing data to '/Volumes/TV_01/24/title02.mkv' at offset '66859627'
Failed to save title 2 to file /Volumes/TV_01/24/title02.mkv
Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while writing data to '/Volumes/TV_01/24/title03.mkv' at offset '67073065'
Failed to save title 3 to file /Volumes/TV_01/24/title03.mkv

The same process works just fine when I read from the Samba share and output to a local drive.

Thanks,
Ken
Smithcraft

Re: Error when outputing to samba share

Post by Smithcraft »

Is it just with this disc image, or when every you read and write to the share?

SC
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Most likely your operating system is treating the Samba share as a FAT32 drive, with a 4GB file size limit. It's not supposed to, but sometimes it happens.

First place I'd check is the documentation for the server side - if it is a NAS, there might be some parameters you can when you connect to the share to make OS X treat it as capable of large files.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
khargy

Post by khargy »

This problem happens with any ISO I try with not just the one in the example. Sometimes one or two of the files will save successfully but it's not consistent.

As far as the 4GB limit, I copy/save large files all the time and either way the MKVs I'm have been making are of TV show episodes and are typically under 2GBs (each).

The Samba share is from a Ubuntu system, if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Ken
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If the files are smaller than 4GB, then what I cited isn't the issue. If it were, you'd be able to write files all the way up to 4GB, then get an error that would indicate a "full" disk, even with terabytes of space available.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

I believe Apple did something silly with it's Samba implementation in 10.7. That could also be an issue. You can get a better Samba implementation for OS X.

I've had this recommended to me elsewhere, but I haven't tried it yet. http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

SC
funkho

Post by funkho »

I am reading this post because I am seeing POSIX errors in my issue as well. I am wondering if you could try something for me. Could you try an older version of MakeMKV? I am also writing to a Samba share via Ubuntu, and I started getting these POSIX errors some time around 1.7.10... I recently installed 1.7.4, and the POSIX error went away.

In contrast, I'm going to attempt my issue to local disk instead of the Samba share after reading this.
THE D3UC3

Post by THE D3UC3 »

I was having the same issue trying to write .mkv files directly to my NAS. If I use the most current version of the beta I will get the "Posix error". However, if I use version 1.7.4 everything works just fine. I don't have any problems writing directly to my NAS with my Windows box; only my Mac. I don't want to have to dual-step this process by first ripping it to my Mac HDD and then transferring it to my NAS. Please correct whatever is missing from the current software that was in version 1.7.4.

Edit: I'm running OS 10.7.5