osx vs MakeMKV

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
jeroenh

osx vs MakeMKV

Post by jeroenh »

Hi,

while reading through some of the posts/specs/... I became very interested.
But before I want to spend some money on an external (usb/firewire) blu-ray player (I have an iMac) I want to verify some things first:

* any blu-ray player that is capable of some writing (cd-r/...) can be used in OSX (snow leopard) to read blu-ray data with MakeMKV from a blu-ray disc?
* while checking, it seems that MakeMKV is currently unable to write HD audio streams into the MKV file?

this last question is probably the only reason why I wouldn't start using this right away. I have a popcorn hour, connected to a 7.1 surround system. I'd prefer to keep the HD audio streams (DTS, DTS HD, ...) as they are so I can make profit of the surround system.

regards,

jeroen
bmille6

Re: osx vs MakeMKV

Post by bmille6 »

I am interested in seeing the answer to your question. I really want to buy a external bluray but I want to make sure it will work with snow leopard and makemkv. Thanks for asking the question
thisisalexandre

Post by thisisalexandre »

Hello,

I'm using Snow Leopard (10.6.2) with a LG BluRay USB external reader/writer. I rip Blu-ray with AnyDVD HD under Parralels/Windows and then make a MKV with MakeMKV (I don't use MakeMKV directly because I'm an original version freak so I've to OCR subtitles directly from the ISO file). Finally, I play MKV with PLEX on a Mac Mini under Snow Leopard connected to a HD Flat screen plus a Denon A/V Ampli with a 5.1 sound system (connected trough fiber optic for Audio and DMItoHDMI for Video).

The playback is perfect in 1080i with Dolby Digital or DTS. The only think that I'm loosing is the Dolby TrueHD or the DTS-HD who can be played only trough an HDMI connection (and as you know, there is no HDMI port on Macs for audio output). But, frankly speaking, unless you have the full THX Digital audio system behind and have hears able to support a full-power movie during 2 hours, to be honest, from my point of view, I don't hear the difference.

Nevertheless, if you absolutely want to have the TrueHD/DTS-HD decoded by your system, as far as I know, there is only one solution : a standalone Blu-ray player with an original Blu-ray disk.

Have fun !
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

jeroenh wrote: * any blu-ray player that is capable of some writing (cd-r/...) can be used in OSX (snow leopard) to read blu-ray data with MakeMKV from a blu-ray disc?
yes
jeroenh wrote: * while checking, it seems that MakeMKV is currently unable to write HD audio streams into the MKV file?
this last question is probably the only reason why I wouldn't start using this right away. I have a popcorn hour, connected to a 7.1 surround system. I'd prefer to keep the HD audio streams (DTS, DTS HD, ...) as they are so I can make profit of the surround system.
not for now, MakeMKV will only extract "core audio" - 5.1 . Future versions (a couple month from now) would support extraction of Dolby TrueHD audio streams. DTS-HD would be supported eventually, but timeframe is unclear for now - but might be as well the same 2 months.
jeroenh

Post by jeroenh »

Mike,
thanks for the reply! I appreciate it a lot. You've created a fantastic program...

just to make things 100% clear for me I've to ask another question regarding audio/DTS :)

I love the "ear-candy" ever since I've got myself a 7.1 Harman Kardon audio system. I play my mkv files on my popcorn hour (A-110) which is optically linked with my harman kardon receiver.
There are some blurays (and mkv's) that have a DTS-ES audio tracks which really sounds fantastic on the set.
I just want to make sure if I backup one of my DTS-ES blurays through makemkv, I don't loose the DTS-ES advantage in the MKV?

just looking right now to buy a Samsung SH-B083L and put it into a 5,25" usb housing... seems to be an affordable combination.

regards

j
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

jeroenh wrote:Mike,
thanks for the reply! I appreciate it a lot. You've created a fantastic program...

just to make things 100% clear for me I've to ask another question regarding audio/DTS :)

I love the "ear-candy" ever since I've got myself a 7.1 Harman Kardon audio system. I play my mkv files on my popcorn hour (A-110) which is optically linked with my harman kardon receiver.
There are some blurays (and mkv's) that have a DTS-ES audio tracks which really sounds fantastic on the set.
I just want to make sure if I backup one of my DTS-ES blurays through makemkv, I don't loose the DTS-ES advantage in the MKV?

just looking right now to buy a Samsung SH-B083L and put it into a 5,25" usb housing... seems to be an affordable combination.

regards

j
DTS-ES is part of core audio and was supported from very beginning. The latest version 1.4.10 supports all HD audio types including DTS-HD
jeroenh

Post by jeroenh »

thanks Mike!

one more question (I've been doing some blu-ray research):
what about AACS?

"Every Blu-ray movie you buy has a little file on the disc under the “AACS” folder called “ContentRevocation.lst”. This file contains a complete list of blacklisted authentication keys for the drive to update itself with, and – get this – you can’t stop the drive loading it. The instant you stick that movie disc in and this file is discovered, the drive automatically updates its blacklist right away, even before the disc icon appears on your desktop. Sneaky, huh?"
http://www.serenux.com/2009/01/howto-ri ... th-ubuntu/

Because the above is "blu-ray behavior", it will have the same result in OSX...?
Meaning: if I have a blu-ray drive (via usb) and put a blu-ray disc in it, the drive will be updated with the blacklist file...?

regards,

Jeroen
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

the information you quoted is incorrect but the general idea is true. The drive will update itself the moment you insert a newer disc. The revocation information is stored in a special area on disc that is accessed by drive even before the disc is mounted.
jeroenh

Post by jeroenh »

so my drive will get blacklisted once it's listed, meaning I won't be able to read newer bluray discs?
I've done some research and there are custom firmwares that somehow avoid this behaviour:
"We made a firmware patch which allows you to read the Volume ID without aacs authentication."
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=139522

I was looking at a samsung BR drive, but ordered an LG drive (LG CH08LS10) hoping I can use this custom firmware.

because this updating happens before the disc is mounted, makemkv cannot influence this. Do you have other suggestions to avoid this? I think this is a big issue because once your drive is blacklisted, the fun stops... (or perhaps I'm wrong, because I'm a blu-ray n00b atm)

hope to get some info from your side

Jeroen
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

custom firmware will work. blacklists are not that scary - after a particular certificate is backlisted programs get updated really quickly. MakeMKV was blacklisted 2 or 3 times and was always updated in a matter of few days. the open-source community tools suffer most.
jeroenh

Post by jeroenh »

So it is the software that gets blacklisted and not the hardware (the bluray drive in my case)? I had the impression the drive ID would get blacklisted, but if it's only the software reading the bluray content that is getting blacklisted then I see indeed no problem at all...

jeroen
GoColts

Post by GoColts »

custom firmware is the way 2 go, not scary
Mrrrt

Post by Mrrrt »

I also have a Harmon Kardon receiver, and have been spoiled with the 5.1 digital surround sound from standard dvds that i have ripped to apple tv. With the mkvs created with makemkv, I also am losing the recognition of all 6 channels. Anyone know how different the output is when muxed to 2 channels in make mkv? I really like having digital surround sound. Thanks.
jeroenh

Post by jeroenh »

Hi,

you're not loosing any channels at all when using Makemkv...

below mediainfo output from an MKV created with Makemkv:

Code: Select all

Audio #1
ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                   : MA
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Duration                         : 1h 53mn
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Title                            : HD Lossless
Language                         : English
the original audio from my blu-ray is inside the MKV container.

did you check your file(s) with mediainfo?

jeroen