From BD to MKV to AppleTV = Only Audio

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
jreffner

From BD to MKV to AppleTV = Only Audio

Post by jreffner »

Ok, I ripped Battlestar Galactica - The Plan from Blu-Ray on a Mac using "MakeMKV"

It left me with a 27.23 GB mkv file that plays in VLC Media Player on my Mac. I uploaded it to my AppleTV via my usual FTP app and tried playing it in Nito. I had a black screen with the audio from the movie. Any ideas why I can't see the picture?

What I want to do is to be able to rip BD discs that come from my rental service and upload them to the AppleTV for viewing later. Naturally, I'll delete the movies after watching (just as I've done with VIDEO_TS folders from ripped DVDs). After all, just a few of these will fill up my AppleTV's drive in no time.

So, any idea how to get these to play on an AppleTV without reencoding?

Many Thanks!
EOSMAN2010

Re: From BD to MKV to AppleTV = Only Audio

Post by EOSMAN2010 »

It sounds to me like you are forgetting the one thing that stops me from buying an Apple TV.

It doesn't do 1080p

The maximum video format that AppleTV will take is a 1280x720 24fps(I think) video and I believe 5.1 audio.

Obviously it has no problems with the 5.1 audio, but I believe that you will need to re-encode the mkv to 720p24 + 5.1 using Handbrake or Turbo.264 HD (I recommend using a 10% higher bitrate than required)
in order to watch it on your AppleTV.

Try that and see if it works.
jreffner

Re: From BD to MKV to AppleTV = Only Audio

Post by jreffner »

I will give it a go. I also appreciate your time and help!

Many thanks!!!