List of Blu-ray drives that work

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
SnotMonster

Re: List of Blu-ray drives that work

Post by SnotMonster »

Yes - it is working just fine. Have used on multiple mac's; ripped more DVD and BD+ protected movies, all without issue.

Internally it is an Optiarc drive - same manufacturer as the standard DVD drive in my iMac - boxed with a USB - SATA bridge
Drive Information:
Manufacturer: Optiarc
Product: BD ROM BC-5500S
Revision: 1.03
USB to Serial-ATA bridge:

Product ID: 0x0c31
Vendor ID: 0x1bcf (Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc.)
Version: 1.0f
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Sunplus Innovation Technology.
Location ID: 0xfa450000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 2
FenderBender

Post by FenderBender »

Another happy Plextor PX-B310U owner here. Ripping BD is reliable if not extremely fast (6X BD read speed) DVDs rip very fast; most in under 10 minutes with RipIt.

Mid-2009 2.0GHz Mac mini, OS X 10.6.2, MakeMKV 1.4.12.

$169 at Fry's.
Casey4147

Post by Casey4147 »

Been using the FastMac drive since January. Slow delivery, no replies to emails, all confirmed, but it's a nice drive that seems to work well. Yeah, the 2x is a bit slow, but it gets the job done.
stinkweasels

Post by stinkweasels »

This drive works inside a 2009 Mac Pro and via USB enclosure on a 2009 Mac mini

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827151199
cha cha chio

Post by cha cha chio »

Has anyone tried this bluray option? It's only $199 and reads blurays at 4X.

http://www.amexdigital.com/Press_Releas ... %20Kit.htm

If this drive works, it would seem like a great option for a HTPC mac mini. Let me know what you guys think.
g1ngerninja

Post by g1ngerninja »

I can confirm that the Samsung SH-B083 works just fine when connected to one of the spare SATA ports in my Mac Pro (2006). I got mine from here http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Samsung- ... ibe-Retail. However the read speed which should be 8x only ever reaches 3x using this program! Why is this?

Cheers
g1ngerninja
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

The "direct access" speed is slow because of how direct access is implemented on OSX. The "OS access" should be very fast. As I asked in another thread please make sure you have "log debug messages" enabled in preferences and submit the log if OS access fails.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

I used a 2x BD combo usb drive with my macmini and the rip speed for BD has been constantly 2x with makemkv (8.5MB/s).
Now I bought an new 4.8x BD combo usb drive and the rip speed decreased for BD to 1.5-1.6MB/s. Very disappointing.

In the message window below the drive initially is opened in OS access mode. But when opening and rip the disk in the message window is shown direct access mode. The preference disable direct access mode is checked.

Any idea how to increase the speed to the announced 4.8 MB/s or even faster than the 2x BD drive?

Thanks in advance!

macfrank

See attached log file
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
makemkv log file
(3.74 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Do you get faster speed if you copy "BDMV" folder to your hard drive in finder? It might be just a slow drive.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

mike admin wrote:Do you get faster speed if you copy "BDMV" folder to your hard drive in finder? It might be just a slow drive.
I copied the folder to my hard drive and your are right, the speed is only around 6.8MB/s.
But why this BD drive is sold as 4.8x read speed? My old 2x BD drive is really faster with 8.5MB/s.

Do you have a suggestion for an external slim-line usb BD drive which is really 4x or faster?

I think I have to send back this new drive and continue with the 2x one...

Is there any reason why these drives are only direct accessed and not OS access? Or do I misunderstand the log file?

Thanks a lot!

macfrank
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

macfrank wrote: Is there any reason why these drives are only direct accessed and not OS access? Or do I misunderstand the log file?
It's confusing. Drive is opened in OS access mode. The second message is about the disc that is opened in direct mode meaning you're opening a physical disc and not files on a hard drive.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

mike admin wrote:
macfrank wrote: Is there any reason why these drives are only direct accessed and not OS access? Or do I misunderstand the log file?
It's confusing. Drive is opened in OS access mode. The second message is about the disc that is opened in direct mode meaning you're opening a physical disc and not files on a hard drive.
That's really confusing. Is this a bug in the beta release?
What can I provide to analyze and solve this confusing behavior?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Everything works as expected. The first message is about direct access to drive, the second is about direct access to disc. While messages are confusing, everything works as expected.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

mike admin wrote:Everything works as expected. The first message is about direct access to drive, the second is about direct access to disc. While messages are confusing, everything works as expected.
Thanks a lot! Now I got it :wink:
jdutter

Post by jdutter »

I just wanted to double check my facts as I am new to the bluray world.

If I buy this drive from fastmac that was mentioned earlier:

http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=406/

and plug it into a Mac, will MakeMKV be able to rip a protected bluray movie?

Does the mac have to be a mac mini or can it be any halfway-recent mac?

I want double check before I sunk any money into a BD drive.

Thanks in advance.