Second time using MakeMKV but first repeated error message

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
wallofbeans

Second time using MakeMKV but first repeated error message

Post by wallofbeans »

Hi All,

I've just got into this and successfully used MakeMKV with two blu-ray disks a few days ago. But I'm now trying again with two more and both are showing error messages. They fail to make back up copies and fail to make MKV versions as well.

I'm baffled as to why this is happening as I am doing the exact same thing I did last time and all went smoothly...
I've tried a few times now with the same issue each time. I even cleaned the disks but it makes no difference.
An example error message below:
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00010.m2ts' at offset '7893614592'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00010.m2ts' at offset '7893614592'

Any advice?
Woodstock

Re: Second time using MakeMKV but first repeated error messa

Post by Woodstock »

The drive says it can't read parts of the disk.

First response to that is to clean the disk. Do not use harsh chemicals to do this - optical disks do not react well to things like ammonia cleaners. Use only soft cotton or microfiber cloths - paper towel and similar products scratch the surface.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
wallofbeans

Post by wallofbeans »

Woodstock wrote:The drive says it can't read parts of the disk.

First response to that is to clean the disk. Do not use harsh chemicals to do this - optical disks do not react well to things like ammonia cleaners. Use only soft cotton or microfiber cloths - paper towel and similar products scratch the surface.
I tried that and it didn't change anything. Same exact problem. This is what it tells me when it's finished every time. It saves smaller files fine but two larger ones, one being the film, it doesn't like at all.

MakeMKV v1.9.5 darwin(x86-release) started
Optical drive "DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS31N TA17d" opened in OS access mode.
Optical drive "BD-RE TSSTcorp BDDVDW SE-506CB TS02d" opened in OS access mode.
Backing up disc into folder "/Volumes/BW_EHD4/sarah's key back up"
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00010.m2ts' at offset '7840661504'
Backup failed
Using direct disc access mode
Evaluation version, 25 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
File 00005.mpls was added as title #0
File 00004.mpls was added as title #1
File 00002.mpls was added as title #2
File 00001.mpls(1) was added as title #3
File 00000.mpls was added as title #4
File 00011.m2ts was added as title #5
File 00005.m2ts was added as title #6
File 00002.m2ts was added as title #7
File 00000.m2ts was added as title #8
Operation successfully completed
Saving 9 titles into directory /Users/BW/Desktop/s****
Failed to save title 0 to file /Users/BW/Desktop/s**** /S******_***_t00.mkv
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00012.m2ts' at offset '23944888320'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00012.m2ts' at offset '23944888320'
Failed to save title 1 to file /Users/BW/Desktop/s**** /S*****_***_t01.mkv
7 titles saved, 2 failed
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If this is a new disk, I'd recommend returning it for replacement.

If not, do you have any furniture polish handy? I find that waxes like those found in Pledge furniture polish work well on minor scratches, and the water-based carrier cuts through fingerprints but does not attack the surface of DVDs or BDs.

Spray it on, rub it in gently with a CLEAN finger, then wipe it off with that soft cotton towel. Let any remaining water dry off. Try the rip again.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
wallofbeans

Post by wallofbeans »

Thanks for the help.

It was a new disk and I've returned it for replacement. I tried something else in the meantime and that worked perfectly.

Woodstock wrote:If this is a new disk, I'd recommend returning it for replacement.

If not, do you have any furniture polish handy? I find that waxes like those found in Pledge furniture polish work well on minor scratches, and the water-based carrier cuts through fingerprints but does not attack the surface of DVDs or BDs.

Spray it on, rub it in gently with a CLEAN finger, then wipe it off with that soft cotton towel. Let any remaining water dry off. Try the rip again.