Stopped working

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
boxeestorm

Stopped working

Post by boxeestorm »

So.... I bought an external (Samsung) Bluray drive for my Mac and downloaded MakeMKV. Great success!

But only for the first fifty DVDs. After that nearly every disc is met with either "failed to open disc", or it apparently rips everything and then says something like "three titles found, zero saved" (not an exact quote because I'm not next to it writing this but that is the essence of it). With a red error icon on the popup dialog box after waiting almost an hour for the full rip process. This s all on DVDs since I have most of those.

I tried deleting the app and re-downloading it but it didn't help. Probably it wasn't completely uninstalled since it remembered my settings.

Some discs still work. Every second one at best and often one in three or four. What do do please?
Woodstock

Re: Stopped working

Post by Woodstock »

Log files with exact errors would be helpful. If you have not already turned it on, see the FAQ link in my signature for how to turn on debug logging.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
boxeestorm

Post by boxeestorm »

OK, thanks! I'll do that and return. :)
boxeestorm

Post by boxeestorm »

Well, a surprising thing happened. When I was getting ready to make a log file, or two; I planned on one separate log for each of my two errors, I started out by clearing the log. After that everything has worked perfectly again for every disc so far.

Before this I had tried rebooting, reinstalling, ripping to different locations (Mac's hard drive instead of the external drive), etc. Nothing worked until I cleared the log. It doesn't sound reasonable but as of now everything works just fine! :)

Thank you for the support!
Benjamin99

Post by Benjamin99 »

I've been having a similar issue. I tried clearing the logs but that didn't help. I've noticed restarting helps for me most of the time. This just started about a month back. In fact just had to restart to get it working again. One thing I notice as well - when its not working, I cannot eject the disc using MakeMKV, nor using the button on the drive. I can only eject it by closing MakeMKV and then ejecting from Finder.

My setup

MakeMKV 1.9.6
OS X 10.10.5
Mac Mini i7 2012, 16GB ram
Samsung External Blu Ray drive
boxeestorm

Post by boxeestorm »

Benjamin, I have the same setup with the Samsung Bluaray player. Only a different Mac model. It seems that clearing the logs as a solution (that I wrote earlier)was only a coincidence or part of the solution:

What helps for me every time, and this problem happens a lot, is to physically disconnect the player. I pull the USB cord, clear the logs and close MakeMKV. Then I plug the player back in and wait for the disc to reappear on the desktop before restarting MakeMKV.

I've done this about a dozen times now during the past weeks.