MakeMKV OSX - Non-Compliant Output File

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
m2k10

MakeMKV OSX - Non-Compliant Output File

Post by m2k10 »

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me.

I have just ripped Changeling with MakeMKV for OSX. It seemed to rip ok and created a file around 35gb in size.

I then opened Handbrake for OSX to compress the file size down, but Handbrake does not recognise the file when I select it as source.

I tried opening a downloaded mkv movie file in handbrake and that opens fine.

Can anyone please help?
mike admin

Re: MakeMKV OSX - Non-Compliant Output File

Post by mike admin »

do you use the latest, "snapshot" version of handbrake? http://handbrake.fr/snapshot.php
m2k10

Post by m2k10 »

Yes, I have tried several versions but all give the same result.
yufasa

Post by yufasa »

I used Version 0.9.4 x86_64 (2009112300) of Handbrake without a problem.
Did you try another Blu-Ray MKV?
m2k10

Post by m2k10 »

Yes, I have ripped two different blu-ray movies, changeling and star trek, both are not recognised by handbrake.

However, any already encoded mkv file, such as a movie downloaded of around 6 - 10 gb in size, are all recognised by handbrake.
I am at a loss why it will not recognise the makemkv files??

Thanks for all your replies so far, heres hoping someone has an idea what is going wrong.

I am using a MacBook Pro, 2.5ghz Core2Duo, 4 gb ram, OSX 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard).
Casey4147

Post by Casey4147 »

I've run into this as well. MakeMKV rips the Blu-Ray disc, files of appropriate size are created, but Handbrake (neither the official release nor the above-linked version) recognize the output files. Tried opening them in VLC and got the following errors:

"No suitable decoder module VLC does not support the audio or video format "WVC1". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

"No suitable decoder module VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

The audio plays, but there's no video.

Discs attempted were the first two discs from the new Doctor Who - The Complete Specials boxed sets - "The Next Doctor" and "Planet of the Dead".

Love this application - you're enabling me to watch my Blu-Ray discs on my MacBook Pro, something Apple doesn't seem to be in any hurry to do. Many thanks for the work.
m2k10

Post by m2k10 »

Just downloaded latest version 1.5.0 osx and is now working fine so far.
m2k10

Post by m2k10 »

Have another issue now, MakeMKV will not read RocknRolla blu-ray disc after around 3.5gb in, it gives some scsi read error, which I thought was a faulty disc but I tried reading it in windows with anydvd and it read fine (unless it ignored some errors in anydvd which MakeMKV did not?).

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
themonkey

Post by themonkey »

"scsi read error"

I experienced this exact problem with "Golden Compass".

I had no idea what was going on, and tried everything I could imagine. Then, I pulled the disc out and noticed the tiniest little blemish on the underside of the disc. I cleaned it, cleaned the whole disc, then tried again, thinking "surely a mark that small can't be the cause".

Sure enough, the disc read through the whole way without an issue. Its probably because of the absolutely tiny laser size used to read the discs.

Try cleaning your disc with exceptional detail and try again.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

also, try to increase "IO retry count" in MakeMKV preferences to 50 or so, it might help in borderline cases.
lavalamp

Post by lavalamp »

Hi, MKVs from Blu-Ray with no Valid Source Found with Handbrake

Ghosts of Mars
Blades of Glory
Red Dwarf Back to Earth
Pineapple Express
Inglorious Bastards
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Are you using the "snapshot" version of handbrake?
lavalamp

Post by lavalamp »

Hi Mike, yes I used the latest HB Snap Shot, as well I also used both 1.4.12 ad 1.5.1 of MakeMKV same result. These are a mix of ABC and B Blu-Ray titles. Note that these MKVs appear to work in VLC and Plex, only a couple with Audio but no video plays.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Try to remove all subtitles from produced MKVs, see this post http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1060
lavalamp

Post by lavalamp »

Hi Mike, I placed one of the "No Source Found" MKVs into MKVTool, this showed there were three tracks, Video, DTS and Chapters, I removed the Chapters one, and same error. No video on VLC, but Audio plays.