Every frame marked as keyframe?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
galad

Every frame marked as keyframe?

Post by galad »

I am trying to play the ripped mkv in QuickTime, but unfortunately it seems that every frame of the h.264 video track is marked as a IDR frame in the mkv container, causing the decoder to refresh the image every frame and to give out garbage.

Is my finding correct? If so, any changes of seeing it fixed in a future release?
mike admin

Re: Every frame marked as keyframe?

Post by mike admin »

no, only IDR frames are marked as keyframes. QT + perian should play MKVs without any problems.
galad

Post by galad »

But it doesn't.
Here's a screenshot:

That's what perian read from the mkv file. I tried another mkv demuxer and it showed the same thing. I don't really want to read the correct information inside the h.264 nal, it should be right in the mkv container too.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

I see the confusion. I do have an explanation, but before doing so may I ask why do you need this information? Are you writing MKV-processing software? Feel free to PM me.
galad

Post by galad »

I wrote a very simple mkv to mp4 muxer using Mike Matsnev's matroska parser and libmp4v2. So I am just reading the information from the video track and muxing them into a mp4.
It works quite well with mkv files created with mkvmerge or handbrake.
Perian reads the same information from mkv, so it has the same problem.

I used it the other day to remux a mkv from makemkv because QuickTime X is the only player on mac with hardware acceleration and a good multithreaded decoder. Unfortunately I incurred in this problem.