Defragging - Splitting

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
pdlmb

Defragging - Splitting

Post by pdlmb »

Have used makeMKV to backup my BD collection to a HDD for use via a WD TV Live media player.
This generally works very well, but occasionally I get "breakup". I read that defragging is the answer.
However this operation takes 2 days on my 1 TB BD HDD ! Even having 25% free space does not appreciably shorten the defrag time.
Have used both Piriform Defraggler and Uniblue DiskRescue.
Any suggestions ? Is there a "Splitter" software available which will aid the defrag speed without upsetting the BD playback ?

TIA, Peter
crowfax

Re: Defragging - Splitting

Post by crowfax »

I've found that O&O Defrag is the best tool. This is a personal opinion and subjective of course - I've done no scientific testing between available tools (however I have used many).

If you try it, deselect the "zones" button (for your data hard drive, if you choose to defrag your system with it the "zones" option is excellent) and then tell it to use the "stealth" defrag option. It's the fastest and should be done quite rapidly with your drive.

Good luck!
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

Peter, is this HD internal or external?

I have WD HDTV for USB and USB 2.0 drives take forever to defrag. But recently I got a USB 3.0 card and a couple of Sharkoon USB 3.0 docking stations. The WD drives I stick in the docks function probably faster than if I installed them internally. I use Puran Defrag with the optimizations deselected.

I use a USB 2.0 docking station as input to the WD player.
I'm hoping the next WD player will support USB 3.0 because USB 2.0 is just too slow.
pdlmb

Post by pdlmb »

Thanks for your replies. I shall try both O & O and PURAN. Agree that USB2 is slow, I now use ASTONE 3.5" HDD cases with eSata. near 3 times faster and tests by others suggest it beats USB3. Peter