Burn in Forced Subtitles

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
eon_designs

Burn in Forced Subtitles

Post by eon_designs »

Really cool utility - just beginning to use it to backup and archive all my movies

Is it possible to have any subtitles (forced subtitles in particular) burnt into the end MKV file?

I see that DVDFab supports this, but it compresses the end file. It would be good if you could have the option in this utility so that I didn't have to remember which films had subs in them.

Many thanks. eon
NomadCF

Re: Burn in Forced Subtitles

Post by NomadCF »

"Burning" as everyone is calling it requires you to re-encode the video, something MakeMKV does not do.
eon_designs

Post by eon_designs »

Thanks for the very quick reply.

That explains how DVDFab is doing it and why it is compressing (re-encoding)

Thanks. eon
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

Heres a trick no one seems to know,
Any encoder that uses the "Haali Media Splitter" can be used to "burn" in subtitles, even if that program clearly stats that it does not support subtitles. To do this you'll need to go into the Haali Media Splitter properties and set the "Priority languages" (under output) to what ever you want. For example and I was reencoding avatar I renamed my one subtitle track to "Navi" and then set my "Priority language" to Navi. This forces the subtitles to be "feed" into the encoder along with the video stream as if it was 1 stream instead of two. This is do to the fact that it really is now just 1 stream being output from Haali Media Splitter, so the encoder has no idea there is a subtitle showing on the screen.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

NomadCF wrote:Heres a trick no one seems to know,
Any encoder that uses the "Haali Media Splitter" can be used to "burn" in subtitles, even if that program clearly stats that it does not support subtitles. To do this you'll need to go into the Haali Media Splitter properties and set the "Priority languages" (under output) to what ever you want. For example and I was reencoding avatar I renamed my one subtitle track to "Navi" and then set my "Priority language" to Navi. This forces the subtitles to be "feed" into the encoder along with the video stream as if it was 1 stream instead of two. This is do to the fact that it really is now just 1 stream being output from Haali Media Splitter, so the encoder has no idea there is a subtitle showing on the screen.
This is an interesting tidbit. Can you give more details? Does it only work with graphics based such as .sup? Is there maybe a guide or a section of a doc where you picked this up? (Don't want to bug you to reproduce the info if there's a page with details already.. a link would be great.)
MrTeagan

Post by MrTeagan »

Can handbrake burn the Navi SRT with the MKV to M4V? The burn in feature with external SRT is greyed out.
Director
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@MrTeagan

Hi!

Do a simple Googlesearch for:

handbrake + external srt

or

handbrake + burned srt

MrTeagan

Post by MrTeagan »

Thank you.
Director
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Thank you.
And thank you, as well ;>}
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

NomadCF wrote:Heres a trick no one seems to know,
Could you be a bit more specific?

When you say "under output" you mean in the Languages settings?
splitter.jpg
splitter.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 38579 times
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

In the value field of the selected item in the image, Set the language or title of the subtitle you want used/burned in. Again remember this trick only works with encoders that use the splitter.

Using my avatar subtitles as an example, if you wanted to burn in only the NAvi. You would need to set the Value to NAVI.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

Ok, thanks for the clarification. :)
skittle

Post by skittle »

NomadCF: To be more specific this method is only useful if you use directshow for decoding/encoding (or to just display subtitles on playback)... any encoder that supports avisynth can use ffmpegsource, and subtitle() function. Alternatively can pipe from mplayer/ffmpeg to encoder.
No reason to use directshow these days :)
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

No reason to use directshow these days
I have to disagree with you there, for what I do directshow is still extremely useful. As it allows me (or anyone) to pre-process & filter a video before the encoder gets it.
skittle

Post by skittle »

thats what avisynth is for :| also you can pre-process with mplayer/ffmpeg too!
directshow is NOT frame accurate and thus the main reason no one uses it anymore.
directshow/vfw are relics left over from virtualdub days ;)