[REQUEST] Start & End Frames

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
NomadCF

[REQUEST] Start & End Frames

Post by NomadCF »

This is feature I miss from using DVD shrink, IT would allow you to setup where your starting frame and ending frame was. This allowed for backup your videos with out things like intro/starting credits and ending credits. Which doesn't sound like much, but really does add up over time.
skittle

Re: [REQUEST] Start & End Frames

Post by skittle »

I know it would be conveinent to already be in MakeMKV, but in the mean time you can use mkvmerge with timecodes to accomplish this.

Code: Select all

$ man mkvmerge
 File splitting, linking and appending (more global options):

--split specification

Splits the output file after a given size or a given time. Please note that tracks can only be split right before a key frame. Due to buffering mkvmerge(1) will split right before the next key frame after the split point has been reached. Therefore the split point may be a bit off from what the user has specified.

At the moment mkvmerge(1) supports three different modes.

Splitting by size.

Syntax: --split [size:]d[k|m|g]

Examples: --split size:700m or --split 150000000

The parameter d may end with 'k', 'm' or 'g' to indicate that the size is in KB, MB or GB respectively. Otherwise a size in Bytes is assumed. After the current output file has reached this size limit a new one will be started.

The 'size:' prefix may be omitted for compatibility reasons.

Splitting after a duration.

Syntax: --split [duration:]HH:MM:SS.nnnnnnnnn|ds

Examples: --split duration:00:60:00.000 or --split 3600s

The paramter must either have the form HH:MM:SS.nnnnnnnnn for specifying the duration in up to nano-second precision or be a number d followed by the letter 's' for the duration in seconds. HH is the number of hours, MM the number of minutes, SS the number of seconds and nnnnnnnnn the number of nanoseconds. Both the number of hours and the number of nanoseconds can be omitted. There can be up to nine digits after the decimal point. After the duration of the contents in the current output has reached this limit a new output file will be started.

The 'duration:' prefix may be omitted for compatibility reasons.

Splitting after specific timecodes.

Syntax: --split timecodes:A[,B[,C...]]

Example: --split timecodes:00:45:00.000,01:20:00.250,6300s

The parameters A, B, C etc must all have the same format as the ones used for the duration (see above). The list of timecodes is separated by commas. After the input stream has reached the current split point's timecode a new file is created. Then the next split point given in this list is used.

The 'timecodes:' prefix must not be omitted. 

For this splitting mode the output filename is treated differently than for the normal operation. It may contain a printf like expression '%d' including an optional field width, e.g. '%02d'. If it does then the current file number will be formatted appropriately and inserted at that point in the filename. If there is no such pattern then a pattern of '-%03d' is assumed right before the file's extension: '-o output.mkv' would result in 'output-001.mkv' and so on. If there's no extension then '-%03d' will be appended to the name. 
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

And a handful of other thing do this for me already,

xvid4psp 5.0.37.X as a trim from the start and end
MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5.0

But it is so much nicer to have it done while ripping. Not to mention the added up reduced ripping times do amount to a nice sum :)
skittle

Post by skittle »

xvid4psp is just a frontend to avisynth/x264/ffmpeg/mkvtoolnix ;)
adam.c.parsons

Post by adam.c.parsons »

I too think that a start and end frame option with this program would be really sweet. In fact, I would instantly buy this program the day this feature is added.

I know other programs can do this already but it would be nice to have it all together in 1 nice and easy to use way. That is why i would pay for it.

keep up the great work otherwise!