LG BD570

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
boatnlarry

LG BD570

Post by boatnlarry »

I used MakeMKV on 150 of my standard DVDs stored them on my HP WHS, and used WD TV live to play them and it works great. I just purchased a LG DB570 and I tried to read those MKV files and I get an error stating "not a recognizable format". I contacted LG and told them what was going on and they say I need to add additional codec to the file even though their spec sheet says it will read MKV files. The BD570 is hooked up to my home theater and the WD TV live is in the kids room.

BD570 specs (http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/vid ... -BD570.jsp)

Video Content Format ----- DivX®/DivX HD, MPEG4 AVC, HP@L4.1, MPEG2, HP@ML, SMPTE VC1, AP@L3, MPEG2, HP@ML, AVCHD, MKV

Home Link Playable Content Format ----- DivX®/DivX HD, MPEG2 TS/PS, MPEG1 SS, XVID, MKV, AVI, WMA, MP3, AC3, AAC, JPEG, PNG

Any help would be greatly aprreciated.

Boatnlarry
NomadCF

Re: LG BD570

Post by NomadCF »

The LG BD570 can not play mpeg2 streams in a MKV, you'll need to convert it to something like h264.
boatnlarry

Post by boatnlarry »

I am a little confused. If MakeMKV does not convert the dvd video to another format during the ripping process than why doesn't the BD570 have an issue if the format is in MPEG2?

What is the best tool to convert my MKV files to h264? Is there any way to add the h264 codec during the ripping process? I have over 500 more movies I need to rip.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@boatnlarry

Hi!

If, in fact, NomadCF is correct and your recently purchased LG player cannot properly process any of your 500 MKVs with MPEG-2 content, I'd suggest that you return the LG in exchange for soemthing similar that DEFINITELY can play those files. Converting 500 files now (plus more going forward) is a daunting task...
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

setarip_old wrote:Converting 500 files now (plus more going forward) is a daunting task...
I would disagree there, having converted my library to and from MKV to TS a few times. To deal with this kind of issue (meaning the poor support for the playback of MKVs). I find going to TS from MKV is extremely easy, and really easily automated. But the opposite can be a little more challenging as there isn't any direct TS to MKV software out there. Like there is for going to TS from MKV.

Side note: Except for true media players like the WD player/etc. I find all standalone players every limiting in the terms of there MKV playback, if they even support it all. Most if not all of the ones I've seen only support maybe 3 Video codec options and maybe 2 audio codec options. And I do be leave none of them have supported MPEG2 in a MKV.
Bornung

Post by Bornung »

You can use handbrake :mrgreen:
twa000

Post by twa000 »

boatnlarry wrote:I used MakeMKV on 150 of my standard DVDs stored them on my HP WHS, and used WD TV live to play them and it works great. I just purchased a LG DB570 and I tried to read those MKV files and I get an error stating "not a recognizable format". I contacted LG and told them what was going on and they say I need to add additional codec to the file even though their spec sheet says it will read MKV files. The BD570 is hooked up to my home theater and the WD TV live is in the kids room.

BD570 specs (http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/vid ... -BD570.jsp)

Video Content Format ----- DivX®/DivX HD, MPEG4 AVC, HP@L4.1, MPEG2, HP@ML, SMPTE VC1, AP@L3, MPEG2, HP@ML, AVCHD, MKV

Home Link Playable Content Format ----- DivX®/DivX HD, MPEG2 TS/PS, MPEG1 SS, XVID, MKV, AVI, WMA, MP3, AC3, AAC, JPEG, PNG

Any help would be greatly aprreciated.

Boatnlarry
Have to say I would hand it back as not fit for purpose, and buy something like a HDI Dune Prime 3.0 (or if you don't need the Blu Ray player the cheaper HDI Base 3.0) which supports most codecs you are ever like to come across. You could also go to the Popcorn, if you want a "local" product but it's (in most peoples view) not quite as good :)
The Dune does everything that you seem to want (and more) and saves the effort of conversion to a format that you didn't want to go to in the first place.
Yes, it is a few dollars more :wink: but works either with locally attached storage or with a LAN connection to a NAS or your PC/Unix box or the WD TV live.

- and you can get nice (free) software for organising the media library which even the children can use.

I have about the same number of movies plus additional Film series and there is NO way I would convert from MKV after all the effort of getting there and having a working system (and format) that all the family can use.
jejecham

Post by jejecham »

Hi,

I have the same LG BD570 BR player and of course the same issue with mkv made with makemkv. I also want an BR ^player with network media player features. This one is ok but no mpeg2 stream in mkv! Vob files are fine. I have tried a HDI Dune BD Prime for 20 minutes not more, I could not open the DVD drawer :shock: I think so far BR players can not compete with real media player like WD Live or the Xtreamer I have that can read any video format and dvd rips. So I keep both until I convert all my rips to vob and encode some dvd to mkv with h264 codec. I also have a Samsung C5500 which has the same limitations than the LG. :mrgreen:

Best regards
Krobar

Post by Krobar »

The Dune Prime and Base V3 players can handle all MKVs produced by MakeMKV fine. Based on the same core chipset as the Samsung and LG but a much better implementation.

Post by 001971 »

I have exactly the same problem with my LG 590. I can't stream mkv files from my computer to my LG blu-ray player. Same message: Format not supported.

NomadCF: what is "TS"? What software do you use to go from MKV to TS?

All: What program do you recommend to go from MKV to H264?

Thanks for your help.

LG MKV Not Just a Streaming Problem

Post by 001971 »

I have an LG 590 Blu-ray player. It is unique in that it has a 250 GB built-in hard drive. When streaming an mkv file generated from Makemvk from my pc I get error "Format Not Supported" as in the previous messages. I copied the Makemkv mkv file from my pc to my LG 590 blu-ray player's hard drive and tried to play it. Still get "Format Not Supported". I have two other mkv files from other sources that play fine on my LG 590 blu-ray player. What is there about mkv files generated using Makemkv that makes them unrecognizable by my LG 590?
Krobar

Re: LG MKV Not Just a Streaming Problem

Post by Krobar »

001971 wrote:I have an LG 590 Blu-ray player. It is unique in that it has a 250 GB built-in hard drive. When streaming an mkv file generated from Makemvk from my pc I get error "Format Not Supported" as in the previous messages. I copied the Makemkv mkv file from my pc to my LG 590 blu-ray player's hard drive and tried to play it. Still get "Format Not Supported". I have two other mkv files from other sources that play fine on my LG 590 blu-ray player. What is there about mkv files generated using Makemkv that makes them unrecognizable by my LG 590?
LG dont support MPEG2 in MKV so all DVD ips and some Bluray rips wont work. Try complaining to LG; if enough people complain they might get the message.
TexasGrillChef

Post by TexasGrillChef »

I have the LG BD590.

Here is what you need to know.

1. to play MPG2 files that are either SD or HD with or without DD or DTS sound tracks. They MUST be in a .MPG container. (Ending in .mpg)
MPG2 files will NOT play if encoded in an MKV container.

2. ANY Video content that uses the VC1 codec can ONLY be played if burned to a Blu-ray disc. The BD570 and BD590 will NOT play ANY file type container that makes use of the VC1 video codec. Examples of these are Blu-ray discs released by Universal & Warner Brothers. 98% of all their Blu-ray discs will use the VC1 video codec. Use RipBot264 to convert the VC1 codec into H.264.

3. The only codec supported in an MKV file is H.264 in the AVC style format and using minimum of 3 or 4 reference frames as well as it must be 4.0 or 4.1 complient. H.264 AVC MKV files that use 2 reference frams will play with distortion. RipBot264 will make the conversion for you to a complient H.264 file using 3 or 4 reference frames. SOME HD Blu-ray encoded video with 3 reference frames also won't play for some reason. These will need conversion to 4 reference frames. So when I convert. I allways have it convert to use 4 reference frames

4. DTS & DD surround sound audio must be CORE audio. The unit will NOT play DD-HD, or DTS-HD audio tracks from files. To play DD-HD or DTS-HD audio tracks, the movie must be burned to a AVCHD or Blu-ray disc.

Should you have any more questions please feel free to ask. I have spent many many hours doing research, and experiments on what files will & will not play as well as what conversions will give you the best audio & picture quality.

TGC

P.S. The BD570 and BD590 will both play H.264 M2TS files that you copy directly off a blu-ray disc. The players will even play the M2TS file even if the H.264 video is using 2 reference frames. The ONLY time the players WON'T play h.264 with 2 reference frames is when the video is in an MKV container. The Caveat to playing M2TS files is that you do NOT get Fast forward scan, nor do you get Fast Rewind Scan. You start the movie and play it. You can pause and restart play, or go back to the beggining of the movie. But you CAN NOT move around inside the movie M2TS file. (There is a way to do it, but is is very finicky). The players won't play M2TS files using the VC1 Codec either, unless they are burned onto a AVCHD or Blu-ray disc.

The other problem with playing M2TS files is that it will play the very first audio track. Sometimes this isn't always english. You can correct this by using TSmuxer and demuxing out all unnessary audio tracks & downconverting any DD-HD or DTS-HD down to DD or DTS audio.
LittleEvil

Post by LittleEvil »

I have tried .ts files created by PavTube on both a LG BD390 and BD570. They play for a moment and then start stuttering. I pull the files off of an HP MediaSmart 485 server that I have placed on the same switch as the LG units to make sure it's not a network issue and have had the same results. The BD390 could barely play 10 secs before the stuttering started. The BD570 gets about 1 minute into a movie before the stuttering starts. Hitting pause and then restarting makes the problem go away for just a bit so I'm assuming it's a buffering issue somewhere. I have tried accessing the ts files both through twonky and just straight to a mapped folder with the same results. When I put the same ts file on a hard drive and plug it into the USB port of the LG unit, it plays perfectly fine. So, I'm assuming the LG units just can't handle the high bandwidth requirements of ts files over an ethernet connection

If anyone else has a way to make this work, please let me know as I've given up.
jejecham

Post by jejecham »

Thanks TexasGrillChef for these helpfull details. I have the BD570 and I have made several mkv (h264 video codec/aac audio codec) with Handbrake software that I can perfectly read with the LG from a nas. I used the default settings for (normal profile) and the references frames were set at 2. My only problem is that many of my mkv have 2 audio tracks and subtitles. If I change from default audio track to track 2, playing is desynchronized and unstable and I can't select any subtitles. Have you encountered the same problems?
Thanks for your help.