MKV player has no transport controls

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
GreyKatz

MKV player has no transport controls

Post by GreyKatz »

I installed the MKV player which is supposed to be a stand-alone app. When I open an MKV file the player has no transport controls, only shows the cover photo. I installed the codecs included with Matroska Pack 1.1.2 and the MKV player. Anything else I need to install? THANKS!
GreyKatz

Re: MKV player has no transport controls

Post by GreyKatz »

I should mention I'm using a 2013 Acer PC laptop... and the MKV files which I could open in the MKV player but couldn't play, were downloaded from YouTube. Most of them were audio albums with a still photo or slide show, a couple were video files.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV isn't a player for MKV files, so whatever you're asking about would be supported elsewhere.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
GreyKatz

Post by GreyKatz »

Thanks Woodstock, but the topic is MKV File processing and playback. Therein lies my issue.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

True on the section, but the intent was problems with playing back MKV files generated by MakeMKV, rather than to support random programs that purport to play MKV files...

If "MKV Player" is the one you download from this site: http://mkv-player.en.softonic.com/ , it's not highly regarded.
The settings in MKV Player are scarce and difficult to use. They’re hidden in a drop-down menu below the video screen, and only let you tweak video speed, subtitle delay, and file association. There are no equalizer or video effects, like you find in VLC Media Player. The program is not documented either.
GreyKatz

Post by GreyKatz »

It's not the Softonic player. I'll be more clear.... From the MakeMKV website, I downloaded & installed the Free MKV Player, as well as all MKV codecs in the Matroska Pack 1.1.2... I'm using a 2013 Acer PC with Windows 8.

I opened an MKV file (containing audio and a cover photo) in the Free MKV Player, using the File > Open command. The player opens the file, and you see the right cover photo, but there are no transport controls and it doesn't play the music. (I tried using the menu transport commands, no luck, i.e. Play etc.)

Also I tried opening the same MKV file in VLC Media Player, and that didn't work either.

However, I can import the same MKV file into Audacity, audio only, and export it in a different audio format.

So is it the Free MKV Player or am I missing something? I realize the software is in Beta development, looking forward to when they iron out the bugs.

What program did your quote refer to? MakeMKV?
"The settings in MKV Player are scarce and difficult to use. They’re hidden in a drop-down menu below the video screen, and only let you tweak video speed, subtitle delay, and file association. There are no equalizer or video effects, like you find in VLC Media Player. The program is not documented either."
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

My quote was from the website that you can download "MKV Player".

If you are referring to the links on this page, those links are to programs by other people that are (a) Free, and (b) know how to play MKV files.

VLC is by VideoLan.org
MPlayer is mplayerhq.hu
CCCP is a collection of CODECs gathered up by cccp-project.net to allow Microsoft Windows Media Player Classic (and some other versions) to play MKV files.

None of them are part of the MakeMKV project, just suggestions. There are other options out there, as well.

MPlayer seems to be actively under development, from their website.
GreyKatz

Post by GreyKatz »

Thanks again... I downloaded the latest VLC player which is said to open MKV files. It wouldn't play the MKV file, only showed the cover photo, as did Free MKV Player.

The MKV file is audio with a photo. It plays fine on YouTube, and Audacity imports the audio - but I'd rather not do that, it takes longer and slightly alters the sound when saved to another format. (I saved as AAC, created a swishing effect on percussion).

I'd try posting in another forum section, but this one seems most appropriate... "MKV file processing and playback"

I can't attach a snapshot as 'board attachment quota has been reached'. The VLC explanation was 'VLC doesn't support the audio or video format "undf" ' whatever that is.

Windows Media Player doesn't play it either. I give up!!
MrVideo

Post by MrVideo »

GreyKatz wrote:Thanks again... I downloaded the latest VLC player which is said to open MKV files. It wouldn't play the MKV file, only showed the cover photo, as did Free MKV Player.
MKV is a wrapper. It is the audio codec that is causing issues. I've yet to read a posting from you that says what it is.
The MKV file is audio with a photo. It plays fine on YouTube, and Audacity imports the audio - but I'd rather not do that, it takes longer and slightly alters the sound when saved to another format. (I saved as AAC, created a swishing effect on percussion).
The bitrate used for AAC wasn't high enough.
I'd try posting in another forum section, but this one seems most appropriate... "MKV file processing and playback"
makemkv is meant for dealing with Blu-ray and DVD extraction into MKV wrapped files. You really want to go over to the Doom9 forum, as it deals with all manner of video and audio.
I can't attach a snapshot as 'board attachment quota has been reached'. The VLC explanation was 'VLC doesn't support the audio or video format "undf" ' whatever that is.
VLC plays one hell-uv a lot of various codecs. You are using one that is not very popular, it seems. "undf" means undefined.
Windows Media Player doesn't play it either. I give up!!
Like I said, a codec that is not popular.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Would this MKV file be one you downloaded from internet?

I ask because there are a lot of files out there that were saved using h.265 encoding on the video. VLC does not really work well with h.265, at least I've not had good luck with it. Any time I've encountered one, I had to run it through a recent version of handbrake to convert the h.265 to h.264.

You should NOT encounter h.265 on DVD or Bluray rips using MakeMKV, because it is not an allowed CODEC for either type of disk.