Playback of UHD mkv on TV with non-4K receiver

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
nabla

Playback of UHD mkv on TV with non-4K receiver

Post by nabla »

Currently, I use a FHD system consisting of a Bluray and a media player accessing my NAS plugged into the audio receiver which is connected to the TV. None of the devices is capably of 4K. Now I am thinking about replacing the TV with a 4K version, however, I would like to keep the audio receiver. My issue: From which device do I get the 4K video signal to the TV and the audio signal (inkluding DTS-HD and TrueHD) to the receiver? As I understand, some UHD bluray players offer two HDMI out ports exactly for this. Do the they play also the respective MKV well? 4K capable media players usually only offer one HDMI port.

If it helps, I could also use my very recent PC. Its NVIDIA card, however, features only one HDMI out port (and 3 Displayport).

Do you have any experience with this?
Deraga

Re: Playback of UHD mkv on TV with non-4K receiver

Post by Deraga »

The way I have my setup is. UHD TV connected to my computer using the hdmi port on the video card. I have a display to hdmi cable going to my receiver so I can keep the audio quality. It is not the perfect system but it works. You will need to change video and audio settings in Nvidia settings and in windows audio so you can send the audio & video to the right device.

I have a
Samsung Q7F 55"
GTX960
Skylake i5 6500
Yamaha Receiver
rivey

Re: Playback of UHD mkv on TV with non-4K receiver

Post by rivey »

nabla wrote:Currently, I use a FHD system consisting of a Bluray and a media player accessing my NAS plugged into the audio receiver which is connected to the TV. None of the devices is capably of 4K. Now I am thinking about replacing the TV with a 4K version, however, I would like to keep the audio receiver. My issue: From which device do I get the 4K video signal to the TV and the audio signal (inkluding DTS-HD and TrueHD) to the receiver? As I understand, some UHD bluray players offer two HDMI out ports exactly for this. Do the they play also the respective MKV well? 4K capable media players usually only offer one HDMI port.

If it helps, I could also use my very recent PC. Its NVIDIA card, however, features only one HDMI out port (and 3 Displayport).

Do you have any experience with this?
When I bought my Sony 4K TV (pre HDR), I had to upgrade my AV receiver and the HDMI cable to product capable of handling 4K. I have not bought a 4K bluray yet but I access my media server with my Roku Box that works with 4K. Obviously I am now having problems with some washed out pictures until I upgrade my 4K TV to one with HDR but that will have to wait a while. In my case this was the best approach since the distance from my AV closet would have required a 50ft HDMI cable (maybe longer), so it made more sense to go the way I did.

If your TV has smart features, another approach would be to use the plex server in your TV and then run an optical output from the TV to your AV receiver. That might be the least expensive approach to your problem. Good Luck