Best streaming box for full rip playback

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
wthomas69

Best streaming box for full rip playback

Post by wthomas69 »

what is the best streaming box and app combo to play back full size mkv files ripped from my blurays WITH lossless audio, (files will be on external USB drive connected to PC being used as a media server). Right now the files are put into my Plex server and i use the Plex app. I tried my Apple TV 4 last (with a Marantz 6011 AVR) and the sound coming into the Apple TV is listed as PCM, is this lossless audio??? I also have a Fire TV but know its best audio is Dolby Digital 5.1. I also have a Roku 4 that I haven't tried yet. I am curious to compare the quality of a full mkv rip vs one that has been transcoded down to mp4 with handbrake (I usually do this for convenience so I could put movies on my tablets when I travel, or access them when away from home using Plex)....................I know the Nvidea Shield will do this but looking for cheaper options.
Woodstock

Re: Best streaming box for full rip playback

Post by Woodstock »

Have you read through the existing topic on this subject? http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17196

Note that Apple products are notorious for being a couple of generations behind on technology the company doesn't want to promote. They've jumped on h.265 and similar licensed tech, but still lag on support for anything that doesn't have a multi-million [insert currency here] advertising campaign behind it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging