MakeMKV made awesome file, but can't stream it???

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
JinxCanada

Re: MakeMKV made awesome file, but can't stream it???

Post by JinxCanada »

come on guys. there MUST be a way to do this properly. the other thing i'm curious about is how come when i download an MKV bd rip from online the file size is 10-15gigs, but when i rip a movie with makemkv the file is full sized. what are these guys doing to make their MKV rips so much smaller WITH dts audio in them still? are they compressing the video quality somehow?

there must be a way for me to do this since so many others seem able to rip a bd and I CAN stream them.... so.... what's the answer here? where are the experts?
skittle

Post by skittle »

Yes, they are compressing the video stream with third party tools (x264). Makemkv simply dumps the data from the BD disk into a mkv file. This should be compatible with ps3mediaserver, but for some unknown reason it is not working. Talk to the PMS people as this is their problem!

To mitigate this problem, you can always just create the ts your self... instead of relying on ps3mediaserver to try and do it.
http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html
Last edited by skittle on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

if you have contact info for PMS people i'd be happy to contact them directly.
JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

well interestingly enough...if i convert the MKV into MPG.TS via MKV2VOB the files stream no problem...even ones that I ripped with DTS-MA audio. does this sound right to you guys? kinda weird that these will stream but the MKV's I made won't don't ya think?
skittle

Post by skittle »

Like I said, its probably a PMS issue... because the streams are definitely able to play on the PS3.

The PS3 is not able to natively decode the MKV container, so PMS must convert it to TS with tsmuxer first. It must be doing something wrong. I do not own a PS3 or use PMS so i have no way of testing my self.
JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

skittle wrote:Like I said, its probably a PMS issue... because the streams are definitely able to play on the PS3.

The PS3 is not able to natively decode the MKV container, so PMS must convert it to TS with tsmuxer first. It must be doing something wrong. I do not own a PS3 or use PMS so i have no way of testing my self.

you should buy one...they are incredible for streaming and bluray playback. this is the first issue i've had with streaming..and i guess the mkv2vob workaround is ok. video looks amazing
skittle

Post by skittle »

I have a real hardware player ;)
http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

well i'm ripping with DVDFab HD now into an ISO. we'll see if THAT can stream. hmm
JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

well the answer is NO. i guess the only way i can do this is to rip with MakeMKV and then convert with mkv2vob which makes a streamable mpg.ts file.
Figaro56

Post by Figaro56 »

You need to download MKV2VOB and convert the MKV file for play on the PS3. The program is free for download. There is option to transcode your DTS to AC3 if you don't have a DTS compatible sound system.
Figaro56

Post by Figaro56 »

On your PS3 settings "Video Settings" turn "Sequential Playback" on. When MKV2VOB processes an MKV file it will break the file into 4GB parts with suffixes of .part1, .part2. etc. This is due to fact that FAT32 can only support file size of up to 4GB. The PS3 uses FAT32 disk format. With Sequential Playback on the PS3 with automatically switch from files .part1 to .part2, etc.
colossus71

Post by colossus71 »

JinxCanada,

Thought I'd resurrect this thread since I have the same issue. Blu-ray rips using MakeMKV will not stream using PS3mediaserver. I can rip a blu-ray using DVDFab 8.0.5.6 to .mkv and it streams just fine so those that have previously blamed the ps3mediaserver are incorrect. There is obviously something different about how MakeMKV rips the .mkv vs. how DVDFab does it. Analysis with MediaInfo shows no obvious differences between two .mkv's ripped with MakeMKV and DVDFab.

Just to reiterate, ps3mediaserver using default transcoding settings will stream a DVDFab crafted .mkv without issue. It will NOT stream one ripped with MakeMKV :(