MakeMKV made awesome file, but can't stream it???

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
JinxCanada

MakeMKV made awesome file, but can't stream it???

Post by JinxCanada »

ok. i have PS3 media server. i just ripped Gladiator with the DTS-MA audio and the file worked great...but....

when i try to stream it with my PS3 media server it tells me the "data type is not supported"

doesn't this prog rip to X264 file format? or do i have to rip it and then convert it somehow in order to be able to stream it? TIA
setarip_old

Re: MakeMKV made awesome file, but can't stream it???

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
doesn't this prog rip to X264 file format?
Make MKV does NOT convert the format of videostreams...

[/color]
JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

ok well unless i'm off base, it seems as though you can NOT rip with DTS-MA audio and then stream it. only regular DTS audio.
JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

ok WTF??? is MakeMKV not the right program to rip a BD movie and then be able to stream it with PS3 Media Server? do i have to do something ELSE to the mkv file to be able to stream it? i'm at a total loss here now.

I have tried ripping with both DTS-MA and just lossy DTS audio, and both times i try to stream either file the PS3 says that the "data is not supported" and i can not play the movie?

any help here please? after i rip a BD into MKV with MakeMKV do I have to do something else to it to make it be able to stream with PS3 MS???
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Click on the following link for further insight:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1332

JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

um. that really doesn't help my problem. as i understood it this MakeMKV program is supposed to be able to rip a BD into a single MKV file with the DTS audio. I have downloaded TONS of MKV bd rips and they stream just fine. but...the mkv's i'm making with MakeMKV will only play on my PC. When i try to stream them with PS3 MS i get "data type not supported" so.....something is amiss here i just don't know what.

someone MUST know what i'm doing wrong or missing, as there are THOUSANDS of MKV's BD rips out there to download and they ALL stream just fine and dandy with PS3 MS.

HELP?
JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

come on. someone here must have a clue wtf is going on. any help would be greatly appreciated!
skittle

Post by skittle »

Hi! First of all, the PS3 cannot play MKV files! This is just a software limitation as it does not read the matroska container. If i recall correctly, PS3mediaserver can use tsmuxer to transcode the mkv->ts file on the fly so the PS3 can read it. This is a lossless process, it does nto convert the stream, it just puts it back into the ts container. Did you leave subtitles enabled? If so, try with just video and lossy dts audio. This should work!

You can also use makemkv to stream to the PS3 directly from the disk, but this is probably not useful since you can just play it on the PS3...
Last edited by skittle on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

so what are you saying? that i SHOULD be able to stream these MKV files i'm ripping from BD to my PC with PS3 Media Server? you're saying it's just a setting? i don't think so. I have tried everything under the sun and nothing is working. someone must know wtf is going on here.
skittle

Post by skittle »

yes it *should* be able to, did you have subtitles enabled?

Please post the output of mediainfo http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

skittle wrote:yes it *should* be able to, did you have subtitles enabled?

Please post the output of mediainfo http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
what would SUBTITLES enabled when i'm ripping the BD to MKV have to do with anything? now you really have me confused. please explain?
skittle

Post by skittle »

Because, as far as i know PMS does not support bluray subtitles (only a few things do). This is probably what is causing "data type not supported"
JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

ok. here is the info as far as i can tell that you wanted to see

skittle

Post by skittle »

post the text output :p under the *view option*
JinxCanada

Post by JinxCanada »

skittle wrote:Because, as far as i know PMS does not support bluray subtitles (only a few things do). This is probably what is causing "data type not supported"

ok. so you think if i RE RIP these movies and uncheck the Subtitles (forced only) it will work?