UHD conversion time

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
indyjoe1977

UHD conversion time

Post by indyjoe1977 »

So, thanks to all the hard work done to extract keys and such from UHD discs, I've started to rip my UHD collection. This is nice and all, but I still have one concern. Using DVDFab to CONVERT a MKV file is taking forever. If I take Braveheart (75GB movie file), and try to bring it down to a manageable size (8-10Mbps video bitrate), estimated time is in the 100 hour range. Normal 1080 discs or files are closer to 15-25 minutes. I recognize the older PC could be the problem, and so I'm asking if that's it. It's an i3-3250 with 6GB, and a GTX960 with 2GB DDR5.

Even if it was an hour or two, I'd be OK with that. I'm just trying to get storage sizes down so I don't have to go nuts and do an expensive expansion on the RAID array I'm using. Thanks, y'all.

Joe
indyjoe1977

Re: UHD conversion time

Post by indyjoe1977 »

Anyone? I noticed something today, though. I went to rip Serenity UHD, and it has DTS:X audio instead of Atmos. Combine that with a 12Mbps video bitrate, and full audio copy, and I did the conversion in a little over four hours. Ultimately, I'm OK with this, but was wondering if DTS:X vs Atmos made that much of a difference, or what happened there. I have two others with DTS:X I am going to experiment with, and see if maybe that's it. Would seem quite strange if so.

Anybody with other pointers, please chime in.
indyjoe1977

Post by indyjoe1977 »

Nobody has any thoughts on this?
rivey

Post by rivey »

indyjoe1977 wrote:Nobody has any thoughts on this?
Wish I could help answer the question, but I only use MakeMKV and only keep my rips at their original size. I never make them into smaller files.

Also, you stated,
Using DVDFab to CONVERT a MKV file is taking forever
. I don't understand why you are asking this question here? Why wouldn't you ask your question in the DVDFab website?