Best sound settings for a tablet with stereo & Dolby?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
joe7dust

Best sound settings for a tablet with stereo & Dolby?

Post by joe7dust »

The remuxed audio tracks are TrueHD 7.1 8kbps and AC3 5.1 640bps. I was thinking maybe the best settings for the tablet would be AC3 5.1 320bps mixdown to either Stereo or Dolby Pro Logic II. I'm not sure this is the same thing as Dolby Atmos or if it is even possible to create such a track from this MKV.
Woodstock

Re: Best sound settings for a tablet with stereo & Dolby?

Post by Woodstock »

Lots of things are possible, depending on the software you're using.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
joe7dust

Post by joe7dust »

Woodstock wrote:Lots of things are possible, depending on the software you're using.
I guess creating my own Dolby Atmos track would definitely require some specialty software, but it isn't really a big goal of mine. I was just putting it out there as a feature the tablet supports. The main thing here is that it only has 2 speakers and I've never noticed a difference in quality over 320bps. I'm not sure what effect if any Dolby Pro Logic II vs Stereo would have, the DPL2 is something I usually use to get 5.1 compressed enough to be able to travel over a single 3.5mm cable.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Despite specifications, tablets are limited by how many and what type speakers they are attached to. One of my tablets supports "5.1 Dolby", but activating it just seems to mix more bass into the stereo output; it certainly doesn't switch on 4 more speakers!

If you're using something like handbrake to process the files after ripping, you can select either a stereo Dolby mixdown or a 6-speaker mixdown. I think ffmpeg gives even more choices.

As far as I know of, there is no Atmos-writing software that isn't licensed by Dolby. But, a tablet isn't going to take advantage of Atmos, in any case.
joe7dust

Post by joe7dust »

Woodstock wrote:But, a tablet isn't going to take advantage of Atmos, in any case.
I wonder what this is about then: "Dolby Atmos, dual stereo speakers, built-in microphone" https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-HD-1 ... B00VKIY9RG

Also "Dolby Stereo" isn't in the Handbrake audio options. It's Stereo, Dolby Surround, Dolby Pro Logic, 5.1. There is no TrueHD in the codec dropdown either, only TrueHD Passthru even though AC3 is there alongside the AC3 Passthru option. I'm assuming the AC3 5.1 640bps track would be best to use. I am not sure there would be any perceivable benefit to using the TrueHD 7.1 8kbps track other than more processing time required and possibly larger filesize.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The main thing is that Dolby isn't releasing any of their newer formats, like TrueHD and Atmos, for free encoders, which is why there aren't any to be found.