MKV Playback on windows10 pc

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
smartieyoung

MKV Playback on windows10 pc

Post by smartieyoung »

Hi everyone I looked to see if anyone posted a thread about MKV playback on windows 10 PC 's .I was just curious if anyone has had any luck playing their MKV files from MakeMKV on their computer successfully?
I am able to play play back regular DVD and Blu ray rips with no problem but when it comes to UH D Rips i don't; seem to have much luck.Granted my computer has an I5 Intel processor and regular Intel graphics and I think that's my problem.Short of buying and installing a new graphics card would there be any way to watch it on a computer that doesn't really play UHD movies really well?

Mainly if its possible I'm looking for good video players that could play the UHD Format.If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it,
Woodstock

Re: MKV Playback on windows10 pc

Post by Woodstock »

Main problem is that UHD uses h.265 encoding, and most computers built before 2016/17 don't have h.265 hardware decoding. Intel included h.265 in their "Kaby Lake", which didn't start showing up in systems until the end of 2016, and pretty much the same for Nvidia and AMD video cards.

So, yes, if you want to play UHD smoothly, upgrading your hardware will help.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
wippet

Post by wippet »

What player are you guys using? I was hoping to use PowerDVD as I have the '14 license but would pay for '18 if it worked better (I'm after Dolby Atmos and I don't know that other players offer bitstreaming options?).

Currently I'm also getting choppy playback with an i7 4790k and GTX1070 with 16GB RAM. Video plays fine with Windows Media Player, but it's choppy with PowerDVD. I 'think' the issue is because the UHD MKV rip is hitting 80 - 100Mbit/s and PowerDVD 18 only supports up to 60Mbit/s. I have a support case logged with them at the moment, as even a 2yr old Sony 4k camera shoots at 100Mbit.

[4K Ultra HD Video with Hardware Acceleration]
H.264/AVC: 3rd Generation Intel Core i5 (Ivy Bridge).
H.265/HEVC (8bits): 5th Generation Intel Core i5 (Broadwell) or Nvidia GTX 960.
H.265/HEVC (10bits): 7th Generation Intel Core i5 (Kaby Lake) or Nvidia GTX 1060.

CyberLink PowerDVD supports 4K Ultra HD video in the H.264/MP4 formats at bitrates up to 60 Mbps.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/produ ... quirements
wippet

Post by wippet »

Disregard. I've had success with MPC-BE & MadVR following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGfffqS46pw&t=26s

HDR disabled in Windows 10, it automatically switches to HDR when the movie is loaded and full Dolby Atmos audio track.

What exactly is the point of PowerDVD these days :?