No Dolby 5.1 downmix from Blu-Rays with DTS-HD

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
holygamer

No Dolby 5.1 downmix from Blu-Rays with DTS-HD

Post by holygamer »

I have a Blu-Ray disc which only has DTS-HD on it, there is no Dolby Digital 5.1 file. I converted the main movie (title only) with MakeMKV however when the movie plays back on my AC Ryan PlayON HD Media Player I get no Dolby Digital 5.1. I have Dolby Digital 5.1 headphones connected to the device via an optical cable and there is no sound at all. I don't know if this means anything but when I press the info button on my remote is says the audio is "DTS 6 channel"

However when I unencrypt the disc with ANYDVD then copy the title to my media player, I DO get Dolby Digital 5.1 and this time when I press the info button on my remote is says the audio is "DTS HD 6 channel". So it seems that the file produced by MakeMKV will not allow my media player to downmix the DTS-HD signal to Dolby Digital 5.1. Please help. Thanks
mike admin

Re: No Dolby 5.1 downmix from Blu-Rays with DTS-HD

Post by mike admin »

It seems that your media player handles MKV and M2TS files differently. You can make a "decrypted backup" with MakeMKV that will be identical to AnyDVD rip. http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/4/catid/4
rcork

Re: No Dolby 5.1 downmix from Blu-Rays with DTS-HD

Post by rcork »

You can also use a tool like MKV2AC3 to convert the MKV with DTS to an MKV with AC3. Just google it and you will find the links.