Hardware player for blu ray backup folders

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
pinecooler

Hardware player for blu ray backup folders

Post by pinecooler »

To date I have always used makemkv to rip out the main movie stream which I have then reencoded using handbrake into a couple of formats for streaming to my TV or tablet/phone through Plex.

Currently for TV streaming I use an Amazon fire TV.

With my 4k Blu-ray's I am rethinking my methods, there are obviously issues re-encoding with handbrake losing HDR so am looking at just doing a full disk backup and streaming that.

I believe the oppo blu ray players can stream a folder backup and it behaves like a normal disc. Are there any other devices I could use to get the 4k folder backup to play on my TV.
andcbii

Re: Hardware player for blu ray backup folders

Post by andcbii »

There are a lot of issues with doing a full disk backup. The two biggest are play list obfuscation and cinavia. If you are using an official player, like the oppo, cinavia discs will stop having sound after 20 minutes. If you have an unofficial player, like Kodi, cinavia will not be detected but some tiles will pull with over 50 plays lists to pick from. Pick the wrong play list and you are watching the movie out of order.

My suggestion would be to keep ripping the main movie and what ever extras you want as mkv files. Get an Nvidia shield and load Kodi on to it. That should be able to play anything with out any issues.