Splice two MKV files without altering audio?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
EvNmadtown

Splice two MKV files without altering audio?

Post by EvNmadtown »

I own the Blu ray version of the Lord Of The Rings trilogy - Extended Edition. Each movie is on 2 discs. I have already ripped the 6 discs to MKV files, but now want to trim and splice the movies without altering the DTS HD-MA 5.1audio formatting.

I have a Plex server setup, and want the movies to be available through Plex as 3 complete movies instead of 6.

Can someone suggest an editor that can accomplish this? I tried Wondershare Filmora 9, which accomplished everything I wanted except retain the DTS HD-MA 5.1 audio.

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Splice two MKV files without altering audio?

Post by Woodstock »

You can search here for "LORD RINGS", or do a google search for "merging LOTR files". The real issue isn't the sound; it's in the chapters.

FWIW, there is a Hobbit+LOTR set out there where they only have the theatrical versions, and each movie is on its own disk, not split. But most people buy the "all inclusive including the beautiful bits that didn't move the story forward scenes we cut out" version, which is split across disks... :roll:
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

I tested it long time ago. It works, but the sound for disc 2 was a little bit out of sync, because MKVToolNIX "adds" each track of disc 2 to the other from disc 1 by ignoring the PTS. There is a big hint in the MKVToolNIX dialog that this can happen. The other problem is with the chapters, because MKVToolNIX did not merge them, you have two chapter sets. This can be solved by extracting the chapters and merging the XML sets by hand. Finaly I give up due to the sound issues.
Good Luck :)

Post by paulster »

MKVtoolnix can do this. You have to choose the right mode to get it to append the tracks, and you also have to have the same tracks in the same order for it to properly append them all. I've done this loads of times.

You can also get the chapters to work properly if you use the chapter editor on the second disk to change the chapter names to run in sequence from the highest chapter number of the first disk. For instance if disk 1 finishes on Chapter 23, then rename Chapter 01 on disk 2 to Chapter 24, and so on. Then when you merge the files it'll all append nicely.