Friends s04e23 & 24, how to handle?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
swampdaddy

Friends s04e23 & 24, how to handle?

Post by swampdaddy »

On the Friends Season 4 Disc 4 the Season Finale is a wedding scene where there is a part1 and part2. The DVD has this episode as just one file which included part 1 and 2... Yet, TVDB shows this as two different shows that aired on the same date. It looks like this aired in one night and that the total number of episodes for Season 4 is really 23. So, how might you handle this in Plex or Infuse or Kodi?

Thanks,

Rob
Woodstock

Re: Friends s04e23 & 24, how to handle?

Post by Woodstock »

It's both two episodes (syndication shows it as two) and one (original aired back-to-back). When I encounter this on shows, I will mark them as a combined episode. To use your notation, "Friends s04e23-24.mkv".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
xr200

Post by xr200 »

I also use Plex, which retrieves the metadata/episode descriptions from thetvdb.com.
I like to read the episode description before viewing an episode.
I use makemkv to create the mkv for the "double" episode,
and then I split the mkv into 2 parts (episodes). There are
different options/tools to split an mkv which depend on your
OS and your preferences. I run Linux and use mkvtoolnix
for that. I use HandBrake to process the 2 mkv files,
but that's optional. As long as you name the resulting
files correctly (eg, Friends S04E23.mkv and Friends S04E24.mkv),
Plex will automagically find the correct metadata for each of the
2 episodes.
swampdaddy

Post by swampdaddy »

Splitting this double episode does not seem like an option because there is no opener for the second episode... no obvious place to cut.

Also, did you notice that there are two versions of this double episode where one is slightly larger than the other? Any ideas how they might be different?

Thanks,

Rob
xr200

Post by xr200 »

>>Splitting this double episode does not seem like an option because there is no opener for the second episode... no obvious place to cut

Chapter skip ahead. When you get to a chapter that's approx 1/2 way, that should be where the second episode begins.
You're right, There won't be any opener for it. I personally would just ignore that, because I skip through the opener anyway.
But if you want one, you could cut the opener from the "double" episode and prepend it to the second episode.