AppleTV and hevc files

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
jefftr66

AppleTV and hevc files

Post by jefftr66 »

So I ripped a few movies (no issues) but when when I attempt to play back on AppleTV 4k using Plex I get the attached errors. I also have HandBrake but unclear what is the best conversion protocol. Just the preset AppleTV 4k protocol?
IMG_3984.JPG
IMG_3984.JPG (271.32 KiB) Viewed 12167 times
rui-no-onna

Re: AppleTV and hevc files

Post by rui-no-onna »

I highly recommend using Infuse Pro for playback. It can connect to Plex Media Server and has built-in support for various container formats and codecs including MKV, TrueHD, DTS, etc.

My AppleTV 4K is on wired gigabit and MakeMKV rips play perfectly on Infuse Pro. No transcoding required. I doubt many servers have the horsepower for brute-force, or CPU for hardware assisted decode/encode of 4K HEVC.

On HandBrake, presets are designed so videos play natively on the target device so the AppleTV 4K preset should work fine. Depending on your PC, might take a long while to encode, though.
jefftr66

Post by jefftr66 »

Yeah I installed Infuse last night and it could play one of the files. Just annoying I need another app....

Not sure how long an encode takes..cause it failed.
Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 06.05.46.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 06.05.46.png (21.19 KiB) Viewed 12146 times
sgarbsch

Post by sgarbsch »

I tried Infuse 6 with a 4K MKV to a non 4K Apple TV. Was the reason it was lagging because without a 4K ATV / projector yet, it had to convert? I’m basically just trying to get the right set up so that when I get my protector installed and 4K Apple TV, I’m ready to go. This would let me know that with a 4K Apple TV and projector, I wouldn’t have this issue with Infuse. Thanks!
anothermkvuser

Post by anothermkvuser »

YES = 4K MKV - to 4K Apple Tv with Infuse 6.3 Pro = works great.
SMB network, ExFaT Formatted Drive on Network on Synology Router with SMB + AFP enabled for LAN.

No need to Transcode. Leave files in MKV.