Playback device for 4kUHD rips plus ATMOS & Subtitles

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
fusion5a

Playback device for 4kUHD rips plus ATMOS & Subtitles

Post by fusion5a »

Hi guys needed some help. Im looking for a device that will play all my 4kUHD rips from connect USB Drive and passthrough the Atmos soundtrack UHD/DOLBY VISION etc and also read the subtitle tracks.

To my amazement the only device that plays back perfectly is my low end LG 4k tv using its ios. Its brilliant however as the TV doest encode Atmos I don't get the Atmos soundtrack (I will when I update my TV later this year) the only downside is that It doesn't see the subtitles from rips I make via MakeMKV. Ive looked at other posts and don't think there's a way around this. The TV however does see the subtitles from other MKV files that Ive downloaded so I assume this is just an issue with rips I make via makeMKV.

Can anyone recommend a device that they use for playback that does see the subtitles files from 4kUltra hd Rips? I normally select the English and forced and when I play back on via VLC it sees them, however I don't have a hardware device that can handle the 4k MKVs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
oddeyeball

Re: Playback device for 4kUHD rips plus ATMOS & Subtitles

Post by oddeyeball »

This kind of question seems for fitting for sites like the avsforum or videohelp forums. This page https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... os-movies/ can probably give you a good general idea of what devices that can possibly do it. I'm actually curious what other devices I have can do it besides my micro HTPC with a 1080ti. Going to test my LG 4K OLED TV and my Sony 4K blu-ray player and I'll update later.

-Update- TL/DR at the bottom
My LG TV with webOS can play the mkv file, tested with my Avengers Endgame 4k UHD, with Atmos audio (it's just passed through to the audio receiver) but no subtitles. Subtitles ripped from Blu-rays typically are in HDMV PGS format apparently and my TV does not support it. The Blu-ray player plays video but not audio or subtitles. In order to get subtitles to work on my TV, I would have to extract the subtitles and convert them to a supported format for my TV or find the subtitles in the supported format. From my quick search the .srt or .ass formats are the most commonly supported though I wouldn't take just my word on it. If the default text your device uses is not good and you want nicer looking ones, that can be a little more difficult depending on the device you want to use.

I tried using my Plex media server and it does stream my video with Atmos audio and subtitles but it has to transcode the stream rather than direct playback, but my TV did not pick up the HDR signal and the video was kinda washed out looking. Interesting researching this stuff.

Here's some talk about it on this forum https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18458

To sum it up, look up the specifications on your TV since yours can play them fine and see what supported subtitle formats it likes and find/convert accordingly.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

fusion5a wrote:Hi guys needed some help. Im looking for a device that will play all my 4kUHD rips from connect USB Drive and passthrough the Atmos soundtrack UHD/DOLBY VISION etc and also read the subtitle tracks.

To my amazement the only device that plays back perfectly is my low end LG 4k tv using its ios. Its brilliant however as the TV doest encode Atmos I don't get the Atmos soundtrack (I will when I update my TV later this year) the only downside is that It doesn't see the subtitles from rips I make via MakeMKV. Ive looked at other posts and don't think there's a way around this. The TV however does see the subtitles from other MKV files that Ive downloaded so I assume this is just an issue with rips I make via makeMKV.

Can anyone recommend a device that they use for playback that does see the subtitles files from 4kUltra hd Rips? I normally select the English and forced and when I play back on via VLC it sees them, however I don't have a hardware device that can handle the 4k MKVs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I use the OSMC Vero4K+, it will play everything Except DV.
4k UHD HDR, Atmos, DTS:X, forced Subs

Only way to get DV (Folder or Iso rip) is to use a jailbroke Oppo UDP-203/205 or M9702 (Oppo Clone) or use the Mp4 method and loose Lossless Audio (non starter for me!)

I have just walked away from DV until a real solution is found
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

spl147 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:16 pm

Only way to get DV (Folder or Iso rip) is to use a jailbroke Oppo UDP-203/205 or M9702 (Oppo Clone) or use the Mp4 method and loose Lossless Audio (non starter for me!)
That is partially incorrect. You can play DV on an OPPO 203/205 off the full folder structure without jailbreak. I know because I have done it many times over already on my stock firmware OPPOs. However, you do need jailbroken firmware to play ISO files.
fusion5a

Post by fusion5a »

Many thanks for that....what media player does the Vero4k use? I take it playback is smooth etc....see for me the real issue is the subtitles else Im more than happy with the LG OS playback.

I was looking at the Dune box but again that seems pretty steep.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Yondu1 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:16 am
fusion5a wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:59 pm
Many thanks for that....what media player does the Vero4k use? I take it playback is smooth etc....see for me the real issue is the subtitles else Im more than happy with the LG OS playback.

I was looking at the Dune box but again that seems pretty steep.
I know I'm bit late to participate in this discussion, but dune box is amaze device to use with 4kUHD as playback!

at least I had an amazing experince with dune box.
There are alot of dune boxes, might wanna include the model.

KODI 20 (nexus) on Amlogic S922x, S905x3, S905x4 is by far the best experience! Plays everything except DV.

KODI 21 (omega) Alpha on Homatics with the S905x4-K gets you DV (except DV-FEL, as the EL is discarded)