Re-ordering DVD TV Shows

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
sploders101

Re-ordering DVD TV Shows

Post by sploders101 »

The Problem
Ever since I started ripping TV shows off of DVDs, I have had a problem with episode order. They are often in scrambled order on the disc, resulting in me having to watch each episode, and manually match and rename them. This can be a big problem if you either don't know the show very well, especially if you've never seen it before. Nobody wants to watch a TV show in random order!

My Solution
I created a repository on Github to house all of my Plex utilities, the first of which is an auto-tagger for TV shows.
https://github.com/sploders101/plexUtils
extractSubs.sh, as the name implies, extracts subtitles using mkvtoolnix and vobsub2srt.
autoTagger_sub.js uses the extracted srt files to tag the TV show by comparing it with subtitles downloaded from opensubtitles.org.
None of the utilities here are polished, and there is still a lot of work to be done to make it better, but they are usable in their current state. More usage details are in the readme.

Windows Users
Unfortunately, I am not a Windows developer. I find everything Microsoft unnecessarily complicated, and as such, do not intend to port to Windows. However, using "Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)", you should still be able to run and use these. However, if anyone else wants to find a way to make it work without WSL, pull requests are welcome.
T'hain Esh Kelch

Re: Re-ordering DVD TV Shows

Post by T'hain Esh Kelch »

I usually just jump to the same place in the episodes during the intro theme, and see who wrote that particular episode and cross reference with Wikipedia. Won't work for all shows, but it has worked for me so far.